Carrots

• 24 Replies

mulletsrokk

Carrots
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 22:04 »
I put mine in early. They took a long long time to appear, so don't give up yet! I kept them nice an damp and they are a nice size now. I found the seed tapes to be excellent. Very little thinning required, so less nasties hopefully.

CJ

Carrot growing - advice please for a first time grower
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 14:36 »
I have been growing carrots, planted in compost in a a tall pot in mid March.  I have lots of leaves which look healthy, but no sign of a carrot forming.  

I  had a peek beneath the compost last night but could only see a long whiteish root - is this normal behavour for a carrot  :?  :?:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Carrots
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 15:07 »
I think they do start of white when they are tiny.  I have a pot that I planted very early, but they are only 5 inches tall, leaves look nice though.  And I plnted 3 rows of different carrots in my old bathtub.  Amsterdam, B&Q value and Autumn King.

The first ones to germinate are the B&Q value ones, and there are a few Autumn King coming up, no sign of the others yet though

Annie

Carrots
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 21:49 »
OH sowed the carrots and parsnips this year,the carrots are showing put no parsnips.I will resow in a few days in a drill filled with compost so I can tell if they`ve germinated,have no weed seed in the row and also know where to water!
Then all I`ve got to do is weed the carrots....I Think i may sew an extra row.,,,,,,

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Carrots
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 22:12 »
I'm going to sow lots of rows as I love carrots!!!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Carrots
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 13:35 »
still no sign of the carrots.. but loads of tiny "weeds" starting to grow which are defo not my carrots.. they have till next week to show or I dig over and plant something else..

On friday night I watched the "big dig" and they were growing carrots in tall tubs (forget how high) as the carrot fly cannot get to them, it can only fly so high. The crop they had was brilliant and they packed loads in each tub, no real spacing. I might try this method if I'm not too late to sow them AND if i can get something tall enough to grow them in.. i.e. my water butts :)

Welsh Girls Allotment

• Experienced Member
Carrots
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 13:38 »
I remember seeing a programme years ago about carrots being grown for show standards and they were in deep conatiners such as water butts filled with sand, how do you feed them and give them the nutrients they require

... and do you think I could do a similar thing in coarse sawdust  :lol:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Carrots
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 13:53 »
These were filled with compost.. and I cannot find how high the * can fly so I am going to test it out at about 1m If I can find something to grow them in :)

Welsh Girls Allotment

• Experienced Member
Carrots
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 13:54 »
I think its about a foot and a half above ground level

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Carrots
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 13:57 »
ah ha

Another method of deterring the carrot fly, which I find quite hilarious, is to have a physical barrier of around a foot high (30cm) surrounding your carrots as this insect can only travel below this level. Maybe hilarious is too strong a word but this does amuse me as it reminds me of putting dog biscuits on a top shelf so your dog can't get to them. It may be that a barrier is inevitably placed anyway in the form of edging or raised beds.  I tried this method last year and was untroubled with the dreaded carrot fly.

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
carrots

Started by gaz.grace on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 21:32
by DD.
xx
Carrots to sow now??

Started by allotmentvegigirl on Grow Your Own

235 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 16:53
by tam
xx
carrots

Started by chris1976 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 16, 2006, 12:28
by Heather_S

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 34 queries.