Suitability of plot for growing

• 10 Replies

ukdutypaid

« on: November 02, 2008, 18:19 »
Hell everyone, this is my first post so go easy....  I'm planning on growing a bit of fruit and veg in my new garden. It appears that the previous owner used to grow a few things down the bottom of the garden as it is physically seperated from the rest of the garden by some old sleepers or wood or something.  There was also a bit of that black sheeting stuff which I think was used to cover the soil to prevent weed growth.  (It hadn't worked) Anyhow, I just wanted some opinions on the suitablity/size of the plot.   There are a few things I'm concerned about and was seeking some guidance so I have put a photo up here

It is South facing and the soil is decent Hackney stuff. However, there is a fern to the left (competition for water?)  a compost heap on the plot (too many bugs /pests etc? was thinking of moving it or trying to fence it off somehow...?)   and lastly the wall.... I know wallls suck up moisture, but it is more the shade created by it that I am worried about. How will this affect the sunlight reaching my crops? I'd sy i was about 3 metres high. Could I use it to offer support to beans/pea and so on?

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Martin

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 19:32 »
Hi Martin,

Welcome to the site!

When you say the site is south-facing, do you mean that the wall is at the south end of it?  i.e. it will cast a lot of shade?  Or that the wall is at the north end i.e. lots of shelter from horrid north winds?

That'll make a bit of difference to what will thrive as some plants prefer full sun.  Having said that, unless it is full shade, most plants will do something!

At the height of summer, the sun should reach most parts of the bed - though that triffid sprouting from the wall will cast some more shade.  I'd think about getting it out if it's growing from the wall - it may also be affecting its stability?

I wouldn't worry about the compost heap at all, just means you have less distance to cart the compost!

That fern's a bit big, depends whether you're desperate for the space (you will be :wink: ).  I'm not familiar with the size of its likely root run so can't comment beyond saying it may cast some shade, depending on where the sun is.

As for using the wall to support beans, it's a possibility.  Just don't lean the stakes against the wall at an angle unless you're sure you can get at the beans which will hang down between the stake and the wall.  I'd use smaller (shorter) sticks for peas rather than the wall.

But others may well disagree, so I'll let them have their say while I find my tea  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

agapanthus

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 19:37 »
You could move the fern.....with lots of rootball.... this side of the Buddleia and if you shove the compost into a bin that could go anywhere. :)

Welcome, by the way!!!  :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 19:50 »
Can't add much to what has already been said.  As you are in Hackney is your soil clay?  If it is you might need to enrich and improve drainage in it.

Why don't you pop over to the "welcome"forum and introduce yourself.
Cheese makes everything better.

ukdutypaid

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 21:38 »
Hi all, thanks or the response so far. I still have a bit to do...! The buddleia will be pruned back (early Spring I guess)  and I think I'll keep the fern and maybe spread some wild flower seed in front and behind it and keep the area as it is. This is the largest plot I've personally had so I'm thinking start out small and take it from there. In the photo you can see at the sides of the lawn there are some areas where I was thinking of growing plants that need full sun, Toms for example, and save the area by the wall for plants that don't need so much sun.What do guys think?
   The photo is taken looking South, so the wall will cast a shadow. But in the height of summer surely the sun will be high enough to shed light on all corners?

Apparently the soil in North London (Highgate, Tottenham Hampstead etc) is clay, where as Hackney isn't so bad. I've felt it and tried to roll it into a sausage and it didn't happen, so it I think I'm good!

So overall it's an OK plot?

SalJ1980

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 22:01 »
I should think it would be fine. Maybe better if you just 'extended' it a bit further - I mean who needs lawns anyway?!  :D
Sal

Organic...so far!

agapanthus

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 22:38 »
Quote from: "SalJ1980"
I should think it would be fine. Maybe better if you just 'extended' it a bit further - I mean who needs lawns anyway?!  :D

I was going to say come spring you are going to want more ground for all the things you want to grow!!!!.....It always happens!!!! ;)

rhian13

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 19:31 »
hello I'm new on here too, I have turned my front and back garden into a vegetable plot (I don't have a lawn....ha ha) and I think the south facing aspect would be ideal

Maybe move the fern and get rid of the buddleia in the wall?

you could try raised beds?
my garden is in a city and it was so full of rubble.........so raised beds worked out well.

maybe you could grow fruit against the walls? trained fruit trees (maybe morello cherry on the north facing wall) or things like tayberries and wineberries on wires?

happy growing :@)

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 20:06 »
Quote from: "ukdutypaid"
Apparently the soil in North London (Highgate, Tottenham Hampstead etc) is clay, where as Hackney isn't so bad.

It's lovely here in Walthamstow on the edge of the marshes; not clay here. PH of about 6.8 last time I tested.

garddwr

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 21:25 »
I would look at it this way,a small patch is better than no patch and you'll have to just try and see what works on your little piece of land

Bombers

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 21:39 »
Hi UKDP.
I would also suggest you try growing some tomatoes against that wall! Trust me. from my own experiences this year, they do not need full sun. 8)  
Only other thing I would say is if you don't build raised beds, i would create a couple of pathways (splitting the area into 3, this will help when sowing/planting/watering/weeding etc, so you don't have to walk all over your beds.  :wink:  :)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

xx
Rotovator suitability

Started by Clueless on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 16, 2007, 19:26
by David.
xx
suitability for use for weed control/paths

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 21:57
by 3 allotments
xx
How's everything growing in your plot?

Started by lentil987 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2006, 11:49
by John
xx
Growing strawberries in veg plot

Started by digby on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2021, 18:18
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 34 queries.