Hello from Norfolk

• 5 Replies

Jane in Norfolk

Hello from Norfolk
« on: June 24, 2023, 19:08 »
Hi everyone,
I thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself, and say hi.

I'm Jane and I'm a total allotment (and gardening) novice. I've only had my allotment for 5 months, so I'm a bit slow out of the starting blocks for this year's growing season. My plot had been completely neglected for a few years and had no existing infrastructure, so for my first few months I've focused on the basics - I put up a small 6 x 4 shed, attached some guttering and water butts (I now have three) and I've just finished building the perimeter fence. I've also taken delivery of a tractor-load of pig manure, which is rotting down nicely in a shady corner under a tarpaulin. What else? Oh yes, I've created three long narrow beds, in which I've planted some potatoes (bed 1) and lettuces, leeks, carrots, fennel, beetroots and dwarf french beans (beds 2 & 3). Apart from the lettuce - which is thriving - they're not much more than seedlings at the moment (they went in very late!) but at least they look healthy. The one crop that I did inherit was an established strawberry bed, and yesterday I picked my 8th big haul of gloriously flavoursome berries - I've harested 4kg altogether from that one small bed. What else? Oh yes, I've put in a couple of rhubarb crowns,  rescued three sadly neglected raspberry canes, and discovered a gooseberry bush under the edge of my manure heap. I also have a plum tree....

I doubt that I'll plant much more this year as I'm very short of water. The allotment site has no water supply, so I desperately need some rain to fill my butts! In the meantime I'm toting water every day in a 10 litre container, which luckily just fits in the basket of my Pashley bike. I'm already thinking ahead to autumn, when I'll be creating a 4 bed layout for next year that changes the bed direction from E-W to N-S. I plan to mark out the paths and beds over the next couple of weeks and then get cracking on building some compost bins at the shady rear of the plot. The allotment is N-S, south facing and well-sheltered.  It's only a half-plot (14m x 7m) but that's plenty big enough for a gardening and veg-growing newbie.

I'm sure I'll have a shed load of questions over the coming months/years, so I thought it was wise to make your acquaintance!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 19:09 by Jane in Norfolk »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello from Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 19:19 »
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on the progress you've made already  :)

Just remember, when you ask a question, that three gardeners will give you four different answers  :nowink: :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 22:01 »
Hi there, sounds like you are doing well & collecting as many water barrels as you can is a good plan. Keep a look out for IBC tanks, they hold 1000ltrs.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 11:25 »
Welcome Jane!

I look forward to chatting around the forums, seems like you are off to a good start.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 13:52 »
Hi, welcome to the forums  :)

Mal

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 12:52 »
Good luck with your allotment. We all have to start somewhere and need assistance. This is a great place to find much of the knowledge and wisdom to help get things right!

xx
Hello from South Norfolk

Started by BrynW on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2021, 22:45
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 40 queries.