Finally, got something in!

• 5 Replies

Chrysalis

Finally, got something in!
« on: January 18, 2014, 16:01 »
After a long break for WEATHER  :mad: and illness  :( We have at last got some garlic and shallots in!  :)

Our grow bags have been great for a few years (4 Winters and three Summers), but the soil has just about had it.  We supplemented it with our own compost and fertiliser, but yields weren't great in some things and we had leek moth in the garlic and leeks.  So this week we had two tonnes of fresh topsoil/compost delivered.  Lots of barrowing still to do - to empty the bags and refill with lovely new soil, but it's half done now.... Not bad considering the chest infection and general weakness of yours truly.  OH doing a fantastic job. :nowink:  The spent soil will be used on flower beds and for a new hedge.

Just wanted to share the good feeling of having started.  C

diospyros

Re: Finally, got something in!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 16:29 »
Hurrah well done!

Mbmyco2

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 17:04 »
well done where did you get your soil from and how much did it cost

thanks
Full on Gardening Geek!!!

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 17:45 »
Well it wasn't cheap!  I got it locally from Staffordshire, but they deliver everywhere.  If I could use 4 tonnes I could have got it cheaper from a local recycler, but that was too much and I can't have it all dumped on the road outside the house!

So, we went to a topsoil seller (not sure if I can name them on this site) and bought it at about £80 a tonne.  That seems to be the average for good stuff that's pre-mixed.  We've had similar stuff before from another firm and, as I say, it's done pretty well.  I just wish I could have had the other stuff, as my local allotment site seems to do well from it.  That stuff comes from a biomass/digester thingy and is really cheap at £10 a tonne.  I suppose that's the price you pay for going it alone and not having a lottie  :(  But then I think of all the travelling and carrying to and fro of tools etc, and think it's worth the dosh every few years.... And it looks nice as a kitchen garden. ;)

At least it's kick-started me into activity again... and planning the crops for this year..

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 18:29 »
You can mention the company as long as you have no commercial connection with them (e.g. work for them)  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Chrysalis

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 13:27 »
Thanks,Yorkie.  Now all I need to do is remember what they're called.....dementia setting in! Or is the antibiotics?  ;)

xx
Finally!

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 22:20
by mashauk
xx
Finally - Something has gone right .

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 16:11
by flitwickone
xx
Finally

Started by BostonInbred on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 16:57
by Aunt Sally
xx
Finally!!!

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 18:32
by alwayshopeful

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 29 queries.