Red currant ice cream, frozen yogurt or sorbet recipes please!

• 7 Replies

madcat

OH has just come in with the first batch of several kilos of redcurrants.   :ohmy:

I will be making redcurrant gin and freezing lots for future use, but would like to make a batch of something sweet and icy with them.  Anyone got a tried and true recipe?

All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Mrs Bee

I am not sure if you have an icecream maker so I have included several.
This is an iced redcurrant mousse. No machine necessary

1 lb redcurrants
4 egg yolks
10oz caster sugar
4 tabs water
1/2pt double cream
*puree currants and sieve tham.. you should have just over 1/2 pt puree.
*Beat eggs yolks, sugar, water in a bowl over simmering water until the mixture thickens.
* then stand basin in cold water and continue beating until mixture is cold. It will continue to thicken as you do this.
NB if you have a kenwood with a whisk you don't need to do the above.

Fold in the recurrant puree and lightly whipped cream and freeze in individual ramekins or other container and freeze.

Iced redcurrant souffle no need for a machine
1lb redcurrants
4 egg whites
10oz sugar
1/2 pt double cream
Prepare the puree as above .
Then whisk the egg whites until thick add the sugar and continue whisking until thick then fold in th epuree followed by the lightly whipped cream and continue as above.

Equal quantities of raspberries and redcurrants done as above is also good.

If you have a machine the following sherbert recipe is delicious.
6oz caster sugar and 5 floz water boiled together to form a light syrup.
Puree the currants and sieve and add to the syrup.
Add the juice of one lemon or to taste.
Whisk 2 egg whites until stiff and then mix in the puree and syrup followed by 4 floz double cream.
Put in the icecream maker until frozen.

You could make a redcurrant water ice by simmering 6oz sugar with 1/2 pt water.
Puree currants and add to syrup.
Put in a container in the freezer and as it begins to set break it up with a fork and put back in the freezer. Do this several times so that you have a granular type of water ice. You can use an electric whisk.

And one last one which is my all purpose recipe for any glut of fruit if I don't have time to trawl my cookbooks and this is
Make a stock syrup by boiling 300ml water with 225g caster sugar until for 2-3 minutes util you have a thick sweet syrup. When cold mix with 300ml fruit puree 2 heaped tablespoons of creme fraiche. Churn in a machine.

madcat

Oh, you Star!!  That is wonderful.  Thank you so much.  i love the way the mousse and the soufflé fit together.

I do have a small icecream maker from Lidls, but I have only made one batch in it so far, which was banana.  I shall have fun with these.   :happy: :happy: :happy:

PS which stage can i miss out if I have a kenwood whisk?  Both the cooking and cooling?  Do I just whisk the lot together - will they still thicken?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 18:33 by madcat »

BobE

Thank you Mrs Bee.   :D

Mrs Bee

Oh, you Star!!  That is wonderful.  Thank you so much.  i love the way the mousse and the soufflé fit together.

I do have a small icecream maker from Lidls, but I have only made one batch in it so far, which was banana.  I shall have fun with these.   :happy: :happy: :happy:

PS which stage can i miss out if I have a kenwood whisk?  Both the cooking and cooling?  Do I just whisk the lot together - will they still thicken?

Glad to be of help.
If you have a kenwood...... for the mousse you don't need to do it over simmering water just whisk the yolks and sugar until thick enough to hold over your head without it giving you a hair wash. And it won't be hot so you don't need to cool it.
Don't whisk the yolks and cream together nor the whites and cream as it just won't work. It will be 'orrible. :ohmy:

Whisk the yolks and sugar until very thick and then fold in the lightly whipped cream.
For the souffle whisk the whites and sugar until thick meringue and then add the lightly whisked cream.
Fold the  cream in gently as you don't want to loose all that air you have just beaten in.
You will know if you have done it correctly as you will be able to scoop these 2 ices straight from the freezer.

Hope you enjoy them. ;) :)

Sparkyrog

for those not used to whisking egg whites I would suggest pouring boiling water in the bowl and drying first ,the slightest hint of grease and they won't form  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Thanks Mrs Bee

Just picked several Kg of red currants today :)

Mrs Bee

Thanks Mrs Bee

Just picked several Kg of red currants today :)

I can't wait for OH to have our fruit plot ready to plant out with currants. The soil is awful. :(
We have a few bushes in pots at the moment but only blackcurrants and goosies. No room in the garden for more.

And slightly off topic, it is official our allotments are the worst in the borough. We finally have a new allotment officer and she is at a loss where to start. Just to clarify, our plot and a couple of others shine out among the other overgrown, neglected plots and we have to hack our way down the paths to get to ours because the council stopped maintaining them ages ago. :(

xx
What can I do with frozen cream? Butter? Ice Cream?

Started by Swing Swang on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post February 17, 2016, 11:19
by tosca100
xx
yogurt

Started by gypsy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post April 01, 2015, 22:54
by gypsy
xx
yogurt

Started by Brambles on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 01:05
by Trillium
xx
making your own yogurt ?

Started by starry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post October 13, 2012, 21:22
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 35 queries.