Chickens arriving Jan 30th

• 10 Replies

Pumpkin-Kat

Chickens arriving Jan 30th
« on: January 17, 2010, 23:04 »
 Hi all, I am having some chickens for my Birthday on the 20th, will not be getting them until the 30th as we haven't quite got everything ready for them yet, mostly due to not being able to clear the garden and make the run ready for them because of the snow

We went to look at some chickens on Saturday and to get some equipment etc. Anyway for now we are starting with 2 Rangers and 2 bluebells, would like to get a couple of ex batts when the weather is warmer, and I have been offered some light sussex from a farmer friend who has a large flock, so may have a couple of those also.

Can't believe how excited I am about becoming a chook mum. Is this normal!?!  :wacko:  :tongue2: My children have chosen and named the 2 rangers and bluebelles already. I have also got most of the necessary equipment now, so we'll be ready for them. Just got to get that coop conversion finished.   :happy:

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Chickens arriving Jan 30th
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 23:42 »
All exciting stuff!!!! Remember that I'm just the other end of a PM or phone if you need any help  :D It gets addictive this chicken keeping, and I still want to tempt you into ducks - the kids would love ducks as well  ;)

Pumpkin-Kat

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 23:57 »
 Thanks Cara. I am very tempted by Ducks, and I love Ducky eggs! :D I know the children would love them too, but not sure about the space. also convincing the OH!
 Maybe when the children are older and don't want as much space to play in. Eg 10ft trampoline! football goal etc. Although 15 yr old still likes trampoline & I even go on sometimes!  :tongue2:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 08:38 »
don't let having a trampoline put you off Chickenlady has one in her garden and her ducks like to use that as a shelter  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pumpkin-Kat

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 21:16 »
lol  No excuses then. :ohmy: I probably would but that was quite an emphatic NO from the OH when I mentioned ducks!  :ohmy:

I love your pic joyfull he looks like such a soft goofy boy!  :D What type is he?

robinson

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 21:26 »
I was very excited about getting my girls back in the summer and my kids have also named each of the girls.  I thought this winter could get a bit tricky being that I'm a warm loving person but the thought of how many eggs today and wanting to ensure my babies are ok have had me at the allotment more than once a day during the last few weeks.  I put on my layers and filled containers with water and walked the short distance and have loved the crisp cold air and my excitment of seeing my girls has not gone away!

Basil_UK

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 21:59 »
How exciting !  I started with 3 at Easter , and they were meant to be my two daughters easter egg presents , I am now up to 9 and the girls are not interested so they are 100 % my girls now.  I love then to bits.

I have had a bespoke coup built and am currently planning on an extension and getting some more girls in the spring.  Everyone is right - its so addictive and so rewarding. 

Keep us posted on your progress.  Would love to help in anyway I can.

Best Wishes

LisaB ......aka Basil
Chooks :- Amber, Ashely, Marol, Jazz, Bluebell, Cleopatra,Buffy, Angel and Summer, Cats:- Dee and Jay, Fish Hermionee, Harry and Ron.

Pumpkin-Kat

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 22:25 »
Thanks Basil  :) Everyone seems to really get hooked once they have their girls!

Robinson I too am nesh as they say up North, (don't like the cold) and can imagine I will be like the forum member who goes up to let the girls out in their pj's & wellies!  :blush:
Must get thermal pjs! have been uo there sorting out the run today, but it's not been too cold. Well not compared to the previous few weeks.

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 23:26 »
lol  No excuses then. :ohmy: I probably would but that was quite an emphatic NO from the OH when I mentioned ducks!  :ohmy:

I love your pic joyfull he looks like such a soft goofy boy!  :D What type is he?

He's a she and her name is Olliepops, she is nearly two years old and is a black/brindle Neapolitan Mastiff, very big, very loving , really stupid and can slobber for England. She is my little baby - I also have another dog called Charlie and she is 10 and a Newfoundland cross German Shepherd who is just as big and loving, very clever, doesn't slobber but moults all the time. She's my big cuddly teddy bear  :D
I know I really should get out more  :wacko:  :lol:

Pumpkin-Kat

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 23:35 »
Awww sorry I don't know why I thought she was a boy! She's lovely.    :)

We have a black lab Ruby. Used to have a chocolate lab Ella who lost 15 mnths ago due to old age  :(

Your Olliepops reminded me of her, she was just so goofy & funny.
Sometimes a handful though. She really was the female version of Marley from the book/film behaviour wise, but lovely with it & we still miss her.

We also have two black cats Pepsi & Roxy :)  Roxy is quite new and was adopted from the Cat protection league, she's settling in nicely.

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 23:39 »
Ollie's head looks small on that picture but if you get a side view it's enourmous and very prehistoric looking - she has the looks that only a mother could love  :lol:
I just love chocolate labradors, wanted one of those for years  :D

xx
new chickens arriving later . have i done everything

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

54 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 14:21
by craig1981
xx
Chickens arriving tomorrow.... need local feed supplier

Started by mamashango184 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 10:06
by matthew2riches
xx
New hens arriving soon

Started by steaders on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 21:31
by steaders
xx
Table Chicks arriving.

Started by kimT on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 11:41
by hectic

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 40 queries.