Raspberries

• 15 Replies

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
Raspberries
« on: November 22, 2009, 15:22 »
Hi Guys!
I have ordered some raspberry canes and am very much looking forward to receiving them any time now. I do have a few questions though so if anyone is an expert out there, or even if your not i could do with some help:

1. How high do they growthey are a mix of summer and autum fruiting? I was reading in the fruit expert that they grow to 6ft, although i have NEVER seen a 6ft raspberry cane and everyone on the site seems to have them at around 4ft.
2. If i don't have chance to prepare the bed due to this torrential rain we keep getting can i plant bare root plants in pots until i have managed to get it prepared and transplant in spring, or should i leave them bare and store them some how - and if so how?

Thanks in advance!
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

tode

Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 15:56 »
Hi Kate,

First, don't plant the 2 sorts together (summer & autumn): they'll get all mixed up, and you'll have a BIG problem pruning them.   Plant em in chunky rows, and keep a bit of space between the two sorts.

Don't plant em if the grounds really wet: they like nice crumbly soil, with lots of humus/compost.

If it's too wet, dig a trench, pop em in (without spreading the roots), keeping the 2 sorts apart, and fill firmly. As soon as it's dry enough, plant in their permanent site.  (Lots of compost, and mulch well with straw or similar).

Good luck.     :)

totalnovice

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 17:08 »
Thanks tode - was planning on putting them in chunks so i can walk between them easily to pick and prune - and to keep them apart so I know what to cut and when!

tode

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 17:51 »
Just a little P.S.   if you've got the room, plan to let them spread a bit: that way you get more rasps and cream   :D   (They can spread about a foot a year, if you let em).

:)

DavidT

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 19:12 »
Good advice Tode. :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 19:38 »
The canes on our local pick your own are over six feet tall -- maybe some varieties are taller than others  :unsure: :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

tode

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 19:44 »
Sorry, forgot about the height.

Our Autumn rasps normally get to about 6 foot, but this year they've gone over 8 feet.

In general our Summer ones aren't so tall, about 5 feet, but this year have grown taller as well.

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 19:46 »
Just bought some autumn raspberries and I did not think they would grow that tall.  Do they need staking?

beansticks

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 19:50 »
I have two rows of Glen Ample(summer variety) five years old,and they have reached 7 foot.Both rows are tied into horizontal wires.The rows are 6 foot apart.I know the ground is wet,but i would consider getting them in their permanent positions,this can be achieved by digging a big enough hole and placing a few handfuls of compost in the bottom,the roots will then not be sat in soaking wet soil.

tode

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 19:50 »
I bang in a solid stake at each end of the row, run a wire along at about 3 foot, and another at 5 foot, then you can just run some string along both sides to stop em flopping when it's windy.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 19:50 »
Lots of  people make a sort of horizontal wire strand fence on end stakes to tie them in, rather than individual stakes for each cane.

Nobbie

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 07:45 »
My Autumn Bliss only seem to grow to about 4 foot tall, whereas I can't reach the top of my Malling Admiral canes in the same row which must be upto about 9 foot :)

tode

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 11:04 »
Our rasps are about 15 tears old, and the first 5 or 6 years, I didn't really have time to look after them properly: they were about 4 -5 foot high, but since I've been giving em a bit of tlc and LOTS of straw mulch, the difference is astonishing.

totalnovice

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 12:45 »
Some fab advice (as always) Thank you all very much - i have set my husband the task of creating the wire supports for them, he was thrilled, just hid it very well  :tongue2: will let you all know how they get on! And mmmmm Raspberry and apple crumble here i come.... :tongue2:

harry

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 12:54 »
Hi Kate,

First, don't plant the 2 sorts together (summer & autumn): they'll get all mixed up, and you'll have a BIG problem pruning them.   Plant em in chunky rows, and keep a bit of space between the two sorts.

Don't plant em if the grounds really wet: they like nice crumbly soil, with lots of humus/compost.

If it's too wet, dig a trench, pop em in (without spreading the roots), keeping the 2 sorts apart, and fill firmly. As soon as it's dry enough, plant in their permanent site.  (Lots of compost, and mulch well with straw or similar).

Good luck.     :)
 There are already rasberry canes on my plot how can i tell if they are summer or autumn because someone is giving me some autumn ones :unsure:

Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

clip
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 22:10
by snowdrops
xx
Raspberries

Started by 240173paul on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 20:44
by Lesleyk
xx
Raspberries (1 pic)

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 12:26
by pumpkinpatch
clip
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 10:14
by BussinSpain

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 38 queries.