Clippings/shredding

• 2 Replies

snowdrops

Clippings/shredding
« on: October 28, 2019, 20:45 »
Hi, is there anything chipping/shredding wise that I shouldn’t add to the walk in run please. Yesterday I cleared m6 sons very overgrown new garden , there’s conifers, plus various other shrubs, cotoneaster being one of them, is there anything the chickens shouldn’t have?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Clippings/shredding
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 10:08 »
If you are not sure, best bet would be to stack it on the plot for a few months to 'cook'.  It would not be a nice way to go if they ingest something poisonous and once stuff is just green bits, they will probably eat it.

Shreddings can heat up fast and produce a really good mulch, especially if you mix in a few more green bits and cover the heap.  It is great for fruit bushes or big crops like squash.  I had squash plants going crazy last time I grew them on that.

You might find you grudge the chickens having it and keep it for your own use  :)

snowdrops

Re: Clippings/shredding
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 21:51 »
Thanks Newshoot, I was hoping they manured it for me, plus it’s taking ages for the Counci to deliver the next load of shredding to the plots, just before I got the chickens they delivered the first ever loads & I made full use of them for the run, never considering that any of it might not be suitable for them. Oh well I can soon use it up as you say, I’ll probably just compost it all.

xx
can I use conifer clippings

Started by sushi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 03, 2011, 22:18
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 40 queries.