Building a big Cold Frame/Greenhouse

• 3 Replies

IanG

Building a big Cold Frame/Greenhouse
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:19 »
I'm starting to build a big cold frame on a West facing wall. It will be about 20' long 5' high 2' deep with a couple of auto opening roof vents & the whole frontage will be removeable/slideable. I'm growing tomatoes, chillis, peppers & salad leaves in it.

The question is; should I build a soil base into it & plant directly into soil OR plant in pots on a gravel base? What automatic watering system would you recommend? [I have just bought a soaker hose & timer]

My preferred method would be to use pots [so I can rotate & move them] on gravel & water from underneath using the soaker hose.

p.s. I live in a terrace property with a totally decked back garden so I don't currently have any earth borders. This also means that when I have to change soil I need to take it through the house & off to the dump.

I can easily add water & electric to the cold-frame, although I prefer to look at it as a greenhouse that you work from outside. I could even build a 'heated section' into it for the winter months.

Any help/criticism would be appreciated

Kleftiwallah

Re: Building a big Cold Frame/Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 12:24 »

20 feet long  :ohmy: my that's a long one!

Plumbers have a 240V solenoid operated valve, I've fitted one into the (say it quietly - hose pipe system) and operated by a standard 24 hour electrical timer.  Works a treat.

I would go for the soil base, oops, just read about the terrace.  Looks like pots.

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

jrko

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 17:31 »
For ease of disposal I would grow bags.  You can just make holes for plants and carry them thru the house easily when finished

I use them in my greenhouse at the plot and just use 2 planks to hold them on their side - that way you get nice deep roots.  When I've finished with them I empty the bags on the plot.
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

IanG

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 17:48 »
Thanks for the feedback I'll post feedback as to how it all works out...

xx
building cold frame.

Started by joiner on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 22:06
by gavinjconway
xx
Building a wooden frame to protect against birds.

Started by MyAchingBack on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post December 01, 2011, 20:35
by snowdrops
xx
Cold frame

Started by Matthew Gayles on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 07, 2012, 12:53
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Cold Frame

Started by derekmc on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2016, 17:17
by Plotmaster

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 35 queries.