Greenhouse question

• 3 Replies

Totty

Greenhouse question
« on: August 30, 2010, 19:29 »
I have recently aquired another greenhouse to go in the back garden, our circular 6x6 just is not big enough for everything we would like to grow. The one we are now getting is a 6x8 normal rectangle shape but i dont know what to do about the base. 
 I know i could put a concrete base down then put the greenhouse on blocks, was wondering if there are any universal aluminium bases available that anybody recomends?

Totty

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Greenhouse question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:48 »
Don't know about universal because 8X6 is only the nominal size of the structure; the actual size is clearly critical as to whether it will fit or not.

They tend to be a bit expensive for what they are, but the one here seems more reasonable than most (although currently out of stock!) There are no doubt others, but you will have to check very carefully to make sure your greenhouse will fit properly.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Plot18

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:20 »
I'm about to get a second-hand 8x6 too, and was put off the the vast amout of concrete/ effort a base would require.

Instead I've been advised to use blocks http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9273668&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266890923 underneath the perimeter of the g/h, sunk 3/4 into the soil and mortared. The g/h can then be fastened to this, and the interior covered with weed suppressant.  Makes for a fairly easy, cheap and semi-permanent job.

Hope this helps.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:27 »
I screwed mine one to old scaffold planks, which had been screwed to posts driven into the ground.
I know it won't last for ever, but is fine for a few years (3 years so far and still looking ok)

It depends how strong/good at DIY you are and what you can afford ::)

xx
greenhouse question

Started by mumofstig on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 10:24
by aelf
xx
greenhouse bolts question

Started by mumofstig on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 18:49
by twizzle
xx
question for munty re paint alloy greenhouse

Started by philskin on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post December 04, 2008, 18:59
by philskin
xx
B&Q Greenhouse

Started by carlrmj on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 12:12
by carlrmj

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 37 queries.