What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

Beekissed

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #885 on: October 23, 2015, 23:17 »
Been moving wood chips from piles outside the garden to be spread out inside the garden.  Many trips, still not done.  Trying to get the garden put to bed under a warm blanket before snow flies. 

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #886 on: October 23, 2015, 23:42 »
Took down the runner bean frame and the sweet peas. Lots of big fat pods to shell and freeze.
Anne

Flowertot

« Reply #887 on: October 24, 2015, 15:41 »
Picked the last of the chillies. I am really pleased with this year's crop  :).

booklady

« Reply #888 on: October 26, 2015, 22:26 »
Extended one raised bed, laid the cardboard, straw, compost etc and repaired/re-set the supports on another bed. 
Pulled up all the frosted bits of crops left, chucked them onto the compost.
Picked the last few (small and manky) figs but gave them to my neighbour as I've enough fig jam to open a fig jam shop.
Wrung hands in despair as not allowed to have a bonfire anymore. ever. in our neck of French woods
Picked some dried sticks off the bonfire to put in the kindling store.
Picked off some more sticks for supports and put them into the shed
Surveyed what was left of the bonfire and will do more kindling sticks when wood is dry
Picked some sprouts for tea - yummy.

Is the bonfire rule because of the bush fires? Could you build an outside contained fire pit type thing,sure they're must be loads of tinternet, our son made a chimnea thing out of an old calor gas bottle,with a chimney, could you have a bigger one for your burn able rubbish?

Sorry Snowdrops, only just seen your posting.

The total ban (it was only just a summer ban prior to this) is SUCH a pain in the neck.   We live in a forested area, and there are always trimmings etc to get rid of, sometimes not always wanted for the stove ie laurel leaves, and for our elderly neighbours it is very difficult as not everyone has a car/trailer/van to take them to the commune dump. 

The ban seems to be just new red tape - I can't remember reading about any particular problem, and it isn't a country-wide ban, just our department.  The summer ban was quite OK, everyone understood as it can get very dry and hot here - we just waited for autumn and burnt stuff then.  registered farmers can apply for a bonfire, fill in forms, etc - daft!  Just red tape gone potty.

snowdrops

« Reply #889 on: October 27, 2015, 07:19 »
Yesterday moved slabs to the plot that neighbour & a friend had given me,then while hubby made another lovely path I finished weeding the leeks & took the beans down,boy did it take some separating the string from the plants
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #890 on: October 27, 2015, 09:26 »
Didn't go to the plot but I ordered 10 apple trees so I can get my cider production started!! 😀🍺🍺

Lardman

« Reply #891 on: November 01, 2015, 14:36 »
Today I have mostly been digging Jerusalem artichokes and bind weed out of the raspberry bed  :(

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #892 on: November 01, 2015, 21:33 »
Planted out 10 Apple trees 😀 just need to pop down again this week and mulch around the planting areas.

snowdrops

« Reply #893 on: November 01, 2015, 21:41 »
Weeding

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #894 on: November 02, 2015, 07:02 »
Weeding, weeding & more weeding! Still cropping tomatoes and dug up the last of the spuds, covered dug over areas with plastic sheet and cleared debris from under Brussels sprouts.

Aled

« Reply #895 on: November 02, 2015, 08:53 »
Closed things down on Sunday. Harvested the last of the veg (beetroot, tomatoes, & Cucumber).  Took down my plastic growing tent, cleaned up all the growing trugs and pots, dug the garden over, put fertilizer on, some soil conditioner, and some lime on one half. Also found half a dozen lovely potatoes, nice bonus! So no more growing now until the spring.
Cheers
Aled

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #896 on: November 03, 2015, 14:04 »
Popped down in my lunch and managed to finish tying in the raspberry canes and plant out some spring flower bulbs.

Beekissed

« Reply #897 on: November 04, 2015, 03:54 »
Hauled 13 big bags of leaves and lawn clippings from town yesterday and placed on the garden.  Planted potatoes and mounded up materials on top the rows, will follow up with wood chips.  Also brought home 12 large pumpkins and 4 large watermelons from a farmer's market...they were overripe and headin' south, so they let me have them for free. I'll feed them to the chickens...will save seed on two of the pumpkin varieties and plant them next spring.

Today I went back to town and collected over 50 huge bags of leaves, chopped leaves, and grass clippings.  Hope to do that again throughout leaf season...it's nearly over!  Some will be stored for coop bedding, most will be deposited on the garden.

Also borrowed a lawn sweeper from my brother so as to sweep up all of our leaves as well....we have a plenty!   

snowdrops

« Reply #898 on: November 04, 2015, 10:01 »
Beeskissed did I read that right,you planted your potatoes? To grow for next year? Can you give a bit more than explanation please?

booklady

« Reply #899 on: November 04, 2015, 18:13 »
Did a big prune on our neglected and very large fig tree - found six low branches which had sprouted roots so have potted up for swapsies with friends, plus a couple of very weedy elderberries, so chopped them down.

Chipped the above - got a good wheelbarrowful of chips to go onto compost.

Dug another bit of the plot to leave in rough for the weather to break down - just got so put some manure on.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 39 queries.