Pear Jam / or Preserve ???

• 3 Replies

essex boy

Pear Jam / or Preserve ???
« on: August 24, 2012, 08:54 »
Hi everyone...
                    I have a tree full of conference pears, every year most of them go to waste. :(
So this year i'm going to try and make some pear jam,,one problem though...I cant find a decent recipe to guide me through the process...
I was wondering if anyone out there could help me.
This is my first post in here...so not quite sure if i've gone about this in the correct way...

Thanks ...

mattwragg94

Re: Pear Jam / or Preserve ???
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:13 »
hang on i'll see if vals done one  ;)

hmmm this seems to be the only one that contains pears that vals done - but it also contains plums and apples, so i dont know if thats any use to you?

http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipes/jams-conserves/mixed-fruit-jam

oh and ive just found another easy one for you that just contains pears, here it is;

http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/pear-and-lemon-jam-recipe-93/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:20 by mattwragg94 »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:41 »
 I have found that pear jam made with pears alone is a rather wishy washy and disappointing in flavour.

I tried a pear and elderflower but in all honesty it was very sweet and not much in the way of flavour.

I do a lemon and pear marmalade, and an Autumn marmalade with sweet oranges, lemons, apples and pears both of which are very good.

I also have some recipes waiting to be tried all of which have other flavours with the pears.

Pear and  ginger, pear and lemon, pear and ornage, pear and peach, pear and pineapple and spiced pear and pineapple.

If you would like the recipes message me with your email and I will send them as PDF files as it will take a while to type them out.

Also have you thought of making chutney with some of the pears. If you sling in a few toasted walnuts it makes a great accompaniment tor cheese especially blue cheese.

ALso sweet pickled pears is great with pate, and cheese.
And many years ago I bottled some pears in brandy and made some into crystalise fruit. All of which were lovely for eating at Christmas and as Christmas pressies.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 10:53 »
Like Mrs Ball, I also do Spiced Pickled Pears.  They do make great Christmas presents and are a lovely addition to a cold buffet on Boxing Day as they go really well with game pie/pork pie, coarse pates, blue cheeses, etc.  As they keep well, you can make them well ahead to ensure the flavours have time to mature.  Here's the recipe:

1kg Small Pears (not too ripe)
500ml Cider Vinegar
350g Light Muscovado Sugar
A selection of whole spices such as a cinnamon stick, juniper berries, peppercorns and a few whole cloves.  Alternatively, along with the cinnamon stick, you could used crushed green cardamom pods and some slices of sushi ginger (readily available from supermarkets), but don't add the ginger slices until you're packing everything into the jar as they don't need any further cooking.

Heat the vinegar, sugar and spices in a large pan, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
Peel the pears, leaving them whole with the stalk intact.  If you prefer, you can remove the stalk and quarter the pears, but they won't need cooking for quite so long.
Place them in the pan with the spiced vinegar and simmer for about 20 mins until the pears begin to look translucent and feel just tender when tested.
Remove the pears and place in warm, sterilised jars - 'Le Parfait' clip-seal jars are ideal, especially if you're giving them as presents.
Bring the syrup to a rolling boil for about five minutes or until reduced by up to a third.
Pour the syrup over the pears ensuring they're covered, and add the spices (they not only help the flavour to develop, but look pretty in the jars).  Seal immediately and store in a cool dark place (they'll keep like this for up to six months).  Refrigerate once opened.  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:57 by cheshirecheese »

xx
what's best way to preserve...

Started by splodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post December 09, 2007, 04:36
by Trillium
xx
Cherries,how do you preserve them?

Started by snowdrops on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 18:42
by snowdrops
xx
Damson preserve

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 21:53
by Madame Cholet
question
How do you store preserve your toms

Started by stompy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 16:18
by Trillium

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 36 queries.