Horse - back problem?

• 5 Replies

chloe

• Experienced Member
Horse - back problem?
« on: May 22, 2012, 19:43 »
To all those horsey people out there your advice would be appreciated!

My lovely 6 year old gelding had the farrier for the first time out today since i've had him and he said to me that I should get his back checked out as when he was doing his back feet, my pony really didn't like it and kicked out a few times.. also he bucked with me last week in canter and he's never done that before.. However, I've applied pressure to his back with my fingers and there was no reaction to it, and also he's perfect when being tacked up and mounting, brushing etc. Being ridden he's fine it's only in canter however he could have just being off that day. What do you think? Should I get his back checked and if so by who - the vet or a chiropractor? Thanks!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Horse - back problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:45 »
sorry I don't have horses but I would say a vet would be your first port of call.
Staffies are softer than you think.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:01 »
If you have a good equine vet I would call them first and see if they will recommend a chiropractor/physio if needed. It's easy to get it wrong if you go for a "back man" especially if he/she is cheap.

Good luck.

mobilekat

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 16:03 »
Its worth getting it checked, much like us if you can catch a back problem in a horse early you can often sort it much sooner.
But if stiffness/ soreness is left for a long time the muscles take much longer to recover.

Good luck!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

wighty

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 21:26 »
Plus make sure it's not your saddle that's causing the problem.  We bought a pony with tack and I couldn't get on with him, he seemed 'lopsided' to me.  Turned out it was the previous owners 'way of riding' that had shifted the padding in the saddle and 'threw' him to the left.  He was also a 'bucker' especially when leading on the nearside.

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 14:00 »
If he was kicking out with his hind feet for the farrier, he could acutally have a shoulder problem.

Bucking under saddle going into canter could be a tack problem, a back problem, or a problem with his balance.  At 6yo he is still much a baby, and sometimes they get their legs in a tangle, and sort it out be bucking.

Not all horses react to pressure either side of the spine if they are totally blocked, and remember there is a pressure point a couple of inches behind the saddle, where your horse should dip his back if you press on it.  If he doesn't move at all, thenthis can also suggest an issue.

I'd agree with Tosca, phone your vet to see if they can recommend a chiro/osteo or massage person.

I don't know what it's like in the UK now, but I think you need to inform your vet if you have a "back person" see your horse anyway - you may also need to mention it to your insurance company.

Good luck :)

xx
New horse

Started by chloe on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 17:11
by Thrift
xx
my horse is very ill

Started by karlooben on Pets without Feathers

26 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 21:28
by karlooben
xx
Horse

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 17:59
by tosca100
xx
Wild horse

13 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 13:53
by Wild Pony

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 39 queries.