First timer

• 13 Replies

OLLIE

First timer
« on: May 05, 2009, 13:07 »
Hi, I am after some help for you experienced poultry keepers.  I have just put my first set of hens in my home made coop this weekend.  It is too large to move around and when we are at work, the girls are left in the safety of the run and then let out when I get in from work to have the run of the garden.  The surface of the run is turf / mud but can anyone suggest how I can keep this fresh as I dont want to upset the neighbours by it getting a bit smelly!!
I am trying to get as much of the poo up each night with a shovel but do you have any suggestions as to anything else I could do?  Also, do I need to treat the ground incase there is a build up of nasty bugs/parasites in it as it is a static run?  Got some lovely branches in the run for the girls to jump about on and turn the soil over daily to give them something to scratch around in for bugs.  Put a few large stones in there for them to jump about on and I am hoping the bugs will collect underneath them and I can move them around aswell.

happychickens

Re: First timer
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 13:14 »
Hi  - At first when mine were slightly cooped up and the area got rather worn, did put down some wood shavings which helped keep an area dry, they also liked trawling through it at times - I use it on their poo tray under their perch to help with smells etc - the only problem I had was getting the type of shavings that are not fine, it seems the ones they advertise for rabbits etc are small ie about a penny size, mine are for horse bedding which can be upto about an inch or so (I did not choose the small stuff because when the jump up on their perch it created dust and as I understand it dust is not good for their little lungs.  Good luck and hope you enjoy them as much as I do mine. :)

OLLIE

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 13:18 »
Thanks for the advise.  The outside run itself is abount 1 1/4 metres wide and abount 2 metres long and they seem happy enough.  I am just worried as I cant move it around, it will start to go a bit whiffy!! 

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 13:45 »
How many chickens do you  have OLLIE and what are they?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Janlee

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 13:47 »
Hi,
I use wood chip/tree bark in the run, with a good sprinkling of "Stalosan F". Stalosan is an antibacterial powder used in the keeping of livestock and will help reduce the smell. The birds use this in their dust baths and love it.

Lee

Sue33

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 14:09 »

Hi Ollie,

I put down elephant bamboo (miscanthus from the farm) in the run and in the coop, pretty easy to sweep up and dries out really quick if we've had rain, we are going to put a roof on eventually  :)

Enjoy your chooks  :)

OLLIE

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 15:30 »
Thanks all for your reply.  I have 3 hybrids by the way, one bluebell, an amber star and a copper black.  They are 18 weeks old now.  I will look out for antibacterial powder and just carry on shoveling it up!! I do have a clear perspecs roof on the run so it doesnt get too wet / muddy.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 15:48 »
That run is a little small to keep 3 hens in all the time, in my opinion Ollie. 

But if you allow them to range around your garden most of the time and just shut them in the run over night and very occasionally for the day when you're out you shouldn't have too many bullying problems.

I use bark chips in my run (which like yours is small) but my two hens range around the garden 90% of the time.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 15:59 »
I'm in the same position as you Ollie, my run is really a bit small for the number of (in my case) ducks I have however mine free range during the day. I accept the small risk that I will have a nasty visit from a fox during the day but the risk is too high at night even in a urban environment so they are always locked up at night. If I am going to be away overnight then they are locked up all day. Dosn't happen often and I always feel really guilty but better that losing another couple to a fox (you live and learn) however I accept the risk during the day as they are so much happier out.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

FRUITFULL

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 16:05 »
I keep wondering what to put down but think im going for chip bark eventually.The run here is 2 meters wide by 4 1/2 meters long.Is that big enough for 3 buff orpingtons?They will come out alot too.
Half of it is slabbed and under a roof the other half is grass and earth at the mo but wth no roof.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 16:12 »
I keep wondering what to put down but think im going for chip bark eventually.The run here is 2 meters wide by 4 1/2 meters long.Is that big enough for 3 buff orpingtons?They will come out alot too.
Half of it is slabbed and under a roof the other half is grass and earth at the mo but wth no roof.

You have 9 m squared and that should be more than plenty.  I always suggest a minumum of 2 meter squared per bird.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 16:14 »
That's plenty big enough. The minimum recommended is 1m2 per bird but they are happier with as much as possible!

grumpydad

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 16:37 »
we use bark on the floor in our run, washed down every other night to stop it getting too smelly, mixed corn on the floor takes them ages to get scratching about in it

martyn

FRUITFULL

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 16:38 »
thats good news as we cant extend it.I would give them the whole garden if i had my way :D
Eventually i think the earth bit will have gravel with chip bark on top but will see how it goes.All these decisions...exciting though.I cant wait to decotate the run with perches,feeder and a nice boulder for them to stand on  :D :D

xx
Help for first timer

Started by rickyd on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 12:25
by riversidemale
xx
First timer

Started by Grampa on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 19:00
by Grampa
xx
First timer

Started by retribution on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post January 05, 2011, 15:16
by retribution
xx
First timer with chicks

Started by Poolfield2 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 23:25
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 31 queries.