Excellent skill to have learned.

• 19 Replies

jambop

Re: Excellent skill to have learned.
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2021, 18:11 »
I tried a big batch of cider last year by just fermenting on the pulp in a large plastic box with a lid, then straining it, without pressing!

It was such a palaver, with stuff going everywhere, I decided that unless I get a press, I'd not bother again...

Hope your brew goes well, that mix of apples looks fabulous!

Hi Growster
Just to let you know I am just drinking a bottle of the first batch of cider I made. I have to say, because I made it  :D , it is very acceptable  really good carbonation and colour. The flavour is not overly appley but it is quite young and being a dry cider these tend to be less highly flavoured. It is not lacking alcohol though it is about 7% ! Drink with care! I have made about 30 gallons this year and will definitely be making more next year.

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2021, 08:01 »
Fabulous result!

I think cider is at its best when around that ABV, because like you say, if the flavour is slightly less than expected, there's enough 'heat' to make it very special! Nice success story!

I made some dark beer a few years ago (we discussed it here, but I can't remember when or what we were talking about), and felt that the beer yeast wasn't up to doing the business, so added some wine yeast and it took off!

I reckon we got to near 10% as it really was incredibly strong because it went down to 0.999, and I'd loaded it with all sorts of sugars etc!

Cider is too much of a challenge with the basic equipment we have here, although I'd love to have a bash one day - maybe even just get a kit...

...now there's a thought...;0~
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 08:02 by Growster... »

jambop

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2021, 09:09 »
Fabulous result!

I think cider is at its best when around that ABV, because like you say, if the flavour is slightly less than expected, there's enough 'heat' to make it very special! Nice success story!

I made some dark beer a few years ago (we discussed it here, but I can't remember when or what we were talking about), and felt that the beer yeast wasn't up to doing the business, so added some wine yeast and it took off!

I reckon we got to near 10% as it really was incredibly strong because it went down to 0.999, and I'd loaded it with all sorts of sugars etc!

Cider is too much of a challenge with the basic equipment we have here, although I'd love to have a bash one day - maybe even just get a kit...

The one thing you really need is a press. I bought a 30L one and hand pulper together because I thought the price was not too much I got it from Amazon FR I think it was about £120 but I could have bought any number of old presses here in France that had been used to make wine and cider but they were huge  :lol: really good bits of kit but too big for me. The apples can be pulped in a hand pulper but also very simply in a large bucket using a cut off fence post to smash them up... good work out too!  Then into the press and the juice pours out. To be honest with the total outlay for all the brewing stuff it has cost me a few Euros but it has bee fun and I have a lot of cider to drink and the apples grow every year so the kit gets used again and again.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2021, 12:20 »

Festival Oaked Apple is a good kit.

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2021, 18:01 »
Thank you, Hasbeans, I'll look it up!

xx
Very Important Lesson Learned

Started by grinling on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 20:11
by Growster...

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 40 queries.