Too many eggs

• 16 Replies

Hawkins

Too many eggs
« on: November 10, 2010, 22:04 »
sorry if this is in the wrong place but does anyone remember where the recipe is for using up your surplus eggs. My chickens are laying like little troopers.

Im sure it was for a cake recipe.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 22:17 by Ice »
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: To many eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 22:10 »
Victoria sponge?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: To many eggs
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 22:12 »
em if you click on the cooking section and then put eggs in the search bit loads of egg recipes come up  :).
You are lucky that yours are laying well - I am down from 14 a day to 3  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

asd1

• Experienced Member
Re: Too many eggs
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 22:37 »
My friends give me £1 for 6 eggs, the money goes towards feed for the chicks, in the summer I was getting four eggs a day... Much too many for me and oh, even baked cakes for the guys and girls at work I'm very popular now

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 23:41 »
Out of 60 possible layers, I am getting between 6 and 12 eggs a day!  So you are lucky!!!

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 18:32 »
Really GrannieAnnie!   :ohmy:

I have 11 hens and get betweeen 6-9 a day at the moment!

We have omlettes when we have a surplus.  My 12 year old loves them and he has even learnt how to make them himself with me watching (I can't quite bring myself to leave him with hot fat yet!)

They are so tasty and just so quick to make.  I seem to remember an adver a few years ago 'eggs, fast food and good for you' and that is definitely true!

You could also pickle eggs too if you like them?  There is a recipe in Val's book and it is easy!  As far as I remember you just heat up the vinegar, peel the eggs, sterilise the jars, pop the vinegar and eggs in the jars, add the lid and hey presto done.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 23:40 »
Well we've had our new layers about 5 weeks now I think it is, and 5 are laying now out of the 21!  and only getting 5 eggs a day from our old girls, but it is their 4th winter!  and I get 1 from one of the light sussex most days!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 21:25 »
Humph!!!

I think people complaining about too many eggs in mid November are obviously looking for a slap!

If she tells me it's those Patrick ducks I'm off to Cardiff to administer it! :tongue2:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:21 by Kate and her Ducks »
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 21:28 »
 :lol: :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 21:42 »
Not that I'm bitter or anything. Think I may have has my last duck egg for the year. Supose it will just make me apprieciate it more when they start in spring again. Roll on feb the 23 rd.

Junie

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 21:52 »
Delia does a lemon tart that takes 7 eggs,

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/desserts/tart/deep-lemon-tart.html

It is lovely.

Clafoutis is also lovely, does not have to be cherries, made an orange version the other day ( you can make it without the pastry if watching the lbs( although you won't want the lemon tart then!) :D

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 09:32 »
Yes, the lemon tart is scrummy, and along the same lines, so is home made lemon curd which is great for presents.  The post re pickled eggs is also a good idea, but as Val's recipe says, make sure they're five days old otherwise they're difficult to peel.  Another option is scotch eggs - as dear hubby is coeliac (wheat allergy) I have to make our own using gluten-free sausage meat and gluten-free breadcrumbs.  They're nice though, as you can add different herbs etc. into the sausagemeat or even mixed in with the breadcrumbs.

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 21:12 »
My three girls are still laying three a day ;)  I make a 12inch quiche with 6-9 eggs depending on the glut at the time, the kids call it fluffy quiche because it rises so much!  We also have 'fluffy' toad in the hole once a week, cake, and boiled eggs for breakfast at the weekend.  We'll be rosey ourselves soon!! :lol:
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

pigeonpie

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 22:21 »
If I have a surplus we eat a few eggy meals and then bake and freeze.

That said, it is pretty rare we have a real surplus as we sell to friends within the village but we always keep enough for our regular needs.

Making fresh pasta is a good way to use up extra eggs and will freeze well and I've even frozen fresh custard before now that has come out the freezer well with a good whipping.
Or my favourites... meringues!

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 22:42 »
If I had spare eggs, I'd separate them, whites into a jam-sized jar for freezing. You can use one jar at a time, thawed first, to add some to one whole egg when making scrambled eggs which is much healthier than using all whole eggs. I use about the equivalent of 3 whites to one whole egg - lots of protein and little cholesterol.
At the moment I must buy cartons of egg whites at a discount shop. I buy about 12 half litre cartons which I freeze and use as needed.
Yolks can also be separated and frozen a few at a time in glass jars to use for baking sponges later.

xx
Raw eggs

Started by gobs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

26 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 21:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
Pickled eggs

Started by beanqueen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 09:30
by matilda duck
xx
Pickled Eggs

Started by Sharonx on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 22:27
by Sharonx
xx
How to separate eggs

Started by Trillium on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 07:29
by arugula

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 29 queries.