What do I use a greenhouse heater for?

• 6 Replies

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
What do I use a greenhouse heater for?
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:05 »
I know this may seem like a really silly question but one of my Christmas presents was a parasene heater for my 6ft by 8ft lean to greenhouse. I haven't used a heater for the last two years and I'm not really sure what to use it for.

Currently I have one of those mini greenhouse things with a fleece cover inside the main greenhouse with my onion, broad bean and cabbage seedlings in it, but they've coped fine the last two years without any additional heat. Winter lettuce is outside in the main bit of the green house and soon I'll sow some early peas that I have cropped in the greenhouse for the last two years with great success, but again with no additional heat.

So what do people use greenhouse heaters for? Does it come in handy later if I want to start tomatoes off early or something? I just don't want to waste what seemed like an incredibly thoughtful present (especially as the person who bought it keeps asking me how I'm getting on with it!) but I'm just not sure how to use it to its full potential!

Thanks!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What do I use a greenhouse heater for?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:13 »
I only use mine to keep the g/house warm at night for the last few weeks of April and beginning of May once my tomatoes get too big to keep indoors  ;)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 14:11 »
Mine is set up around March, depending on how well on I am with planting seeds. I generally only light it if there is the possibility of frost or very cold nights/days. i tend to start my courgettes, toms, chillies/peppers early and they need some protection from the cold
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 14:51 »
To keep your feet warm obviously  :D

Only kidding  :)

You could use it I suppose (to show willing  :D) inside a growhouse within the greenhouse to raise more tender stuff. To give a gentle bottom heat and to keep frost at bay.

I've got one myself and that's what I used to use it for but like you I find they're not really necessary unless you're trying to sow too early for the conditions. It's only important if you're trying to steal a March and get things going early

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 15:00 »
Thank you, that's really helpful - so basically I'll be able to shift my tender seedlings/young plants out of the house a bit earlier than I would have been able to in other years?

That is actually very useful, as I have a lot less window sills in this house than I did my last one! :D

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 15:42 »
Thank you, that's really helpful - so basically I'll be able to shift my tender seedlings/young plants out of the house a bit earlier than I would have been able to in other years?

That is actually very useful, as I have a lot less window sills in this house than I did my last one! :D

yes, with some care. The heater won't be much help if the temps drop really low. If the seedings are very tender, I would stick with the windowsill

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 17:26 »
Even in the house they can keel over if the heating goes off in the night. You only need look at your basil plants if you leave them in the windowledge over night  :)

In the greenhouse, with the added protection of a growhouse etc, which can be zipped up a bit. I put the heater on the floor (on a slab or some such) and then have the growhouse positoned over that. 

I think I prefer to start off seedlings later rather than earlier as it's less faff and they catch up and saves paraffin

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 40 queries.