Cockerels fighting

• 2 Replies

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
Cockerels fighting
« on: March 17, 2011, 16:19 »
We've got two cockerels: Romeo, who is a Light Sussex, and his son, Georgy-Porgy, a Light Sussex x Arancauna cross.

Georgy is almost a year old now, and until a couple of weeks ago, the two boys and all the girls (14 hens) were co-existing quite happily in their free-range heaven.

Over the past couple of weeks, however, we've had a few skirmishes - both boys have had minor injuries on their combs and wattles. Then three nights ago, when I went to check they'd all gone in the coop, I found Romeo crouching under the coop, absolutely covered in blood. I put him in the broody coop for a couple of nights to let him recover a bit. When I let him out again, it was pretty clear that Georgy intended to kill him - he went after Romeo every time he saw him. Romeo was clearly petrified of Georgy, and was making every attempt to get away from him - i.e. he didn't want to fight.

Eventually, I caught Georgy and locked him up in a stable, leaving Romeo out with the hens. He's recovering, but still looks a mess and seems to have lost the sight in one eye.

I'm not really sure what to do now: is this fighting likely to be a phase, maybe something to do with the time of year? Are they likely to settle down peacefully together again in the future?

Any advice welcome!

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Cockerels fighting
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 17:00 »
I would say that you have been lucky that they didnt fight before.  I would make the decision on which you prefer and keep that one with your ladies free ranging and get rid of the other.

Or you could set up a couple of run areas of their own and have some gorls with one and some with the other.

I dont think they will ever be able to be kept together agin om afraid.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Cockerels fighting
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 19:28 »
I agree with min once a young cockerel decides to challenge the older one it will continue until one is removed. I have 6 cockerels, 3 are tiny bantams and ignored by the rest but the 3 large fowls have their spats but have enough room and trees to keep out each others way. Mine all sleep in different areas (2 in trees) so again avoid each other.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Cockerels Fighting!!!

Started by Prod on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 09:23
by New shoot
xx
Fighting

Started by The Chicken Lady on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 07, 2007, 21:00
by muntjac
xx
fighting

Started by bramford on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 07:24
by bramford
xx
fighting

Started by lovechickens on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 14:05
by nzdunn

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 39 queries.