what veg plants can i plant now

• 4 Replies

rainie

« on: October 14, 2008, 21:25 »
My daughter is now a learner gardener and in charge of the junior school garden. Aaaaarrrghh.  :D
What veg/herb plants can she buy now to start stocking it. The area doesnt get much sun  but it is all they have.
Looks like i am going to have my work cut out helping her, but i dont mind, the school is 2 minutes walk from my house.
(in the summer holidays this year, one day it was absolutely chucking it down and too wet for my garden and i resorted to an indoors day. Lucy popped her head in and asked me to help her with the school garden whcih was over run with tomatoes runner beans and strawberries - we got soooo soaked, but it was fun).
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 21:37 »
Easy one's would be garlic and japanese onion sets, they won't do a great deal yet, but should get off early in the spring. You could also try broad beans they are quite hardy.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 21:43 »
This is off the top of my head, ill post some more ideas as I think of them...(thinking of the shade and not the time of year)

Parsley will fine, as will mint - but plant mint in a pot as it will take over, A smal bay tree, and rosemary are nice as is lavender
Lettuce will be fine too, as will spinach (tell the kids to think of popeye  :wink:  )
Peas dont mind shade, and runner beans get all big and flowery and exciting for them too
Pumpkins may work in the sunniest part of the plot, radish and beetroot are good and quick and kids love beetroot )in my experience anyway)

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 12:53 »
What did she do with all that produce with it being the summer holidays?  Shame lots of things come into season in the summer holidays.  Great idea for the children though, think more schools should do this.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

rainie

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 19:41 »
She actually passed it on to a few of the children from the village who go to the school, there was beetroot too but we made a chocolate and beetroot cake with them. Mmmmmmmm yummy.

The school also have a small plot in the local woods/forest which a group of children go to wach week from school.

xx
Herb plants- when to plant out?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 17:15
by WG.
xx
How far apart should I plant lettuce plants?

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 09:46
by Oliveview
xx
Can I plant my Sunflower plants outside now ?

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 08:29
by Paul Plots
xx
Can I plant out my baby courgette plants?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2018, 08:38
by al78

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 33 queries.