Please help! Prolapse

• 3 Replies

LilRed

• Chace
Please help! Prolapse
« on: July 26, 2010, 17:31 »
Please help, I'm really worried. I checked on the girls this afternoon as roxanne has started laying (13 eggs now), there was an egg in the nest box and maggie may was sitting in the box. Great I thought she's going to kay her first egg but then I noticed blood on the roof of the coop and in the nest box. I looked at all the others to check them and they were fine, so I looked at MM and found she had blood and some pink tubes hanging out. We took her to the vet, who said it was a severe prolapse and she had ripped herself completely as about 4 inches of intestines were hanging out. The only kind decision was to put her to sleep.

I'm concerned as the vet said it could have been an egg that was stuck. MM and martha had a few watery poos in the last few days so I'm worried it might be something worse. I told the vet but she said to keep an eye in the rest. Martha has half solid and half watery poo's, I'm so worried it's going to happen again! They have all had a week on Tylan as some had sniffles and rattles when we got them home and all seem to be eating and drinking well. The vet even said MM looked really well considering what had happenned. 
My girls the magnificent 7! Isadora, Martha, Clara, Ruby Tuesday, Lady Jane, Roxanne & Maggie May.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Please help! Prolapse
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 17:59 »
you did the right think with maggie May (sad I know but once she had had a prolapse even if you managed to push everything back it very often it will pop out again when they lay  :().
With the others the watery poos could be down to them drinking lots of water, a side effect of the antibiotics or something that they have eaten. Just keep a close eye on them xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

LilRed

• Chace
Re: Please help! Prolapse
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 20:20 »
I sat with them all tonight and gave them some corn, the only one who's squishy is Martha, although it's firmer than it was yesterday. I also picked her up to see if she was egg bound. I know I did the right thing but it's just so sad, she was starting to look very chirpy and smart with her big red comb! I thought about putting some crushed garlic jn the water to see if that firms things up?

LilRed

• Chace
Re: Please help! Prolapse - Update
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 16:54 »
The Other chicken who had the runs, and the one who was worrying me, has laid her first egg today!!!   

xx
After a Prolapse?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2012, 08:41
by Jo57
xx
Prolapse

Started by Tiggersmate on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 19, 2011, 11:52
by kegs
xx
Prolapse

Started by Chicken Pete on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 14:42
by PaulineM
xx
Help! Prolapse

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 16:56
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 36 queries.