Pear tree problems

• 4 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Pear tree problems
« on: May 07, 2016, 07:10 »
Hi, can somebody on here identify the problem with this Conference pear tree:  The bark has some white blotches and there is evidence of dieback.  Last year no problems but no fruit, plenty of blossom. Noticed last week the trunk was rocking in the wind, not noticed that before!  Apple trees nearby are also showing signs of white patches.

Any help much appreciated.

Mike.
pear tree problem die back 07-05-2016.JPG
pear tree problem white patches on bark (2) 07-05-2016.JPG
pear tree problem white patches on bark 07-05-2016.JPG

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: Pear tree problems
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 08:46 »
The blotches on the bark look like lichens to me, which are harmless but will have thrived in the wet winter. See this link to the RHS website:  https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=411

Lack of fruit last year could be due to several different causes. The individual leaves and blossoms in the photo look healthy enough. However, if the trunk is rocking that's a problem. I think the best course of action would be to firm down the soil around the tree again, and give it extra support so it doesn't move, and see if that helps.

G&R
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:00 by Gardener and Rabbit »

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 09:43 »
I thing G&R is pretty much spot on.

Rather than a problem the lichen is a sign of good air quality so no problems there.

The rocking is a concern, it could be you have lost a proportion of the root system if the ground was waterlogged for an extended period. Or just broken roots if the tree has been rocking. Firm and stake as suggested. The die-back is the trees natural defense when the root system is reduced, it tries to balance the top growth to the roots. It might be worth pruning the top back a little to take the 'demand' off the root system a bit, certainly trim off any of the dead bits to avoid any secondary infection

One of my pear trees had tons of blossom last year but no fruit, yet the ones either side of it had fruit.

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 21:59 »
Thank you Trikidiki, and Gardener and Rabbit,

I will follow your advice and reduce the top and add a support and hope there is still sufficient root system to support the bush.  Providing support with so little trunk to tie in will be a challenge!!

Regards,

Mike.

Trikidiki

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 09:04 »
Put a post either side with some cross pieces and tie a few branches in if you haven't got a length of trunk.

xx
Pear Tree Problems

Started by WebSiteEvo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 10:40
by WebSiteEvo
xx
Conference Pear Tree Problems

Started by wil4025 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 25, 2012, 10:19
by wil4025
clip
Conference pear tree problems

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2017, 21:41
by Lardman
xx
Help problems with apple and pear tree

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 09:43
by aubergine

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 39 queries.