Fruit Tree Disease Help

• 7 Replies

rwhittington

• Compost Mentis
Fruit Tree Disease Help
« on: April 22, 2012, 12:11 »
Hi,

We bought our house in the north of Spain 2 years ago, and now we're having a bit of a problem with the fruit trees we've inherited.

A number of our neighbours have told us that a few of our apple and peach trees are infected with the same disease, and we need to get rid of them quickly. I've taken a couple down as instructed (these people have been growing these trees for generations, so I trust their views). My problem is that I'm not sure what the disease is, and what its early symptoms are, as I'd like to be aware of these before the disease kills any more in the future.

One thing I've noticed, is that the trees display the same problem, they're dead, but they have this "blossom", of a green, waxy leaves, which appears only once per tree, and these are what the neighbours point to as proof of infection.

Here's a photo of the "blossom" from one of the trees I removed:

Can any of you help identify this? A few of our other trees have similar problems, and before I tear everything down, I'd like to be sure that it's definitely a problem.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Fruit Tree Disease Help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 12:27 »
Can you post a bigger picture?  It's a bit hard to see.
Cheese makes everything better.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:30 »
? Peach leaf curl? Do they have blotchy bits as well? Are there any normal leaves growing?
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

rwhittington

• Compost Mentis
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 13:31 »
Can you post a bigger picture?  It's a bit hard to see.

Hi Ice, the picture in my gallery is pretty large, I don't know why it's so small in the post. Here's a direct link to the photo:http://chat.allotment-garden.org/gallery/18604_22_04_12_11_06_57.jpeg, does that help? This is the "bloom" that all the trees have produced, our neighbours said that if we didn't remove them then birds would take the seeds from these and infect other trees.

Nikki, I don't think it's peach leaf curl, unless I've missed the early stages. The trees are pretty bare (though some did have slight budding when I took them down). I remember that the few peaches we had did have black blotches on them last year; I can't say anything about the apples, as the trees have not produced anything during our time here.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 13:33 by rwhittington »

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 13:35 »
That looks like mistletoe.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 13:36 »
From that photo it looks like mistletoe. Is it in clumps? Is there any normal budding of the trees or blossom?

You can try snapping a small twig to see if the tree is actually dead.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 14:44 »
I'm not sure what it is either. But this is a pdf document co-written by a researcher in Spain about common fruit tree diseases Here.

There are some good pix and you might spot what is close to your problem.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 14:53 »
I'm 99% sure it's mistletoe which isn't an infection but a partially parasitic plant that grows from a seed and takes some nutrients from the tree, it also gives a little back.  It will eventually weaken the tree but rather than lose it, just remove the mistletoe.

clip
APPLE TREE DISEASE

Started by Judderman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2022, 12:27
by New shoot
clip
Apple tree disease?

Started by WeavingGryphon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2019, 21:22
by WeavingGryphon
xx
Pear Tree problems. Please help me identify the disease

Started by patoncastle on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2012, 11:37
by patoncastle
xx
Fruit Tree's

Started by Shadrak on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 12:21
by Shadrak

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 38 queries.