Grafting on a plum tree

• 0 Replies

Bm1

Grafting on a plum tree
« on: April 12, 2023, 21:01 »
Hi all, of all the gardening info on the net I think finding plum info the hardest/most confusing hence its now 3 years down the line  ::)
Is there anybody on here that is au fait on plum grafting please as I have a few questions to verify?
I have been experimenting with grafting different varieties on to an established tree.
I found T-bud grafts to be most successful on plum, mid branch.
It’s said to use this years scion wood for the buds, T-bud in summer, the next spring it starts to sprout.

Q1. Some info says to cut the branch just above the bud graft the following spring to allow the shoot to grow out but, it’s said to prune established plum trees mid summer to avoid silver leaf disease so what to do ?
Q2. In that case, how come it’s said you prune young trees in spring and established trees in mid summer?
Q3. If you make any cuts other than mid summer, will using parafilm or sealer prevent silver leaf disease?
Q4. Do I pinch out the end of the one year old graft growth so as to make it branch out to fruit buds?
Q5. Has anyone been successful in taking a known flower bud off say two year old scion wood and bud grafted as I’ve realised there’s no fruit bud development on my one year old graft shoots?

Sorry for the long post but if any of these questions can be answered would save another year  trying. Thanks in advance

sad
Plum / Damson Grafting.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2023, 22:31
by Bm1
xx
Fruit tree grafting.

Started by Bodger on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 19:15
by SalJ1980
xx
Grafting an apple tree

Started by timdunn on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 01:16
by timdunn
xx
Fruit tree grafting / cuttings

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post December 25, 2015, 00:10
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 35 queries.