Tomatoes: saving seed, "volunteer" plant, probable Gardener's Delight offspring

• 1 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
I usually just get my seed each year from either a new packet, or an old packet that I determine has viable seed.

Also, I usually don't let volunteer vegetable seedlings stay in the ground.  Usually they are plucked out as weeds.

This year, a couple tomato seedlings started growing, right next to each other, in this year's pole bean patch (which was last year's tomato patch). For whatever reason, I decided to let them grow. I had Gardener's Delight in that area last year, along with some Better Boy and a few Roma (none of which were marked as F1 seed).

They are both producing ripe tomatoes now that are a little larger than Gardener's Delight, on a shorter plant (roughly 5 feet tall).  The flavor is good too.  They are about 150 feet away from any other tomato I have growing.

So... is it likely to be worthwhile saving seed from these plants?  Or did I just get lucky with these 2 plants, and should just enjoy them without bothering with seed-saving?  I develop a blank look on my face when thinking hard about genetics... not my forte at all.  I have a fruit that I am now allowing to get quite ripe on the kitchen counter.  I've read up on how to process the seed to save for next year.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 21:09 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
If they taste nice - go for it. Call it whatever you want  :lol: 
Sow just a couple and If it's still as good next year, you're on a winner - nothing to lose  ;)

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Alien plant " weed " ? with parsnips .

Started by Dave Mack on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 08:28
by JayG
xx
"Tieing in" cucumbers and tomatoes

Started by mebanana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 19:29
by 8doubles
xx
Too late for "Tumbler" tomatoes?

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 12:02
by Growing4mykids

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 39 queries.