Chillies are flowering!

• 2 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Chillies are flowering!
« on: January 19, 2019, 11:19 »
Nice suprise this morning, was watering the chilli plants and noticed one of them had about 6 budding flower heads dangling off!

These are Trinidad Moruga Scorpions sown last may, too late to flower so I've been overwintering them in the kitchen in the hope of some chillies this year. Looking promising now!

I was going to pot them up into bigger pots with fresh soil, should I avoid doing so now or is it ok to do? I haven't had much success with chillies in yhe past so all advice welcome!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Chillies are flowering!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 11:33 »
I've been growing cayenne peppers on a bedroom windowsill for years now, usually keeping the same plants for 3-4 years before starting again, and they flower and produce all year round, albeit not as quickly in winter (they must be one of the easiest and long-suffering chilli peppers there is.)

I don't re-pot mine at all in between re-sowings, although they do get a tomato feed from time to time to keep them happy.
Re-potting yours might make them temporarily forget about flowering and start producing only leaves again.

Other opinions are no doubt available!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
Re: Chillies are flowering!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 20:04 »
I have over wintered a Tabasco chilli plant for the first time this year on a bedroom window sill; I water it occasionally and have fed it with tomato feed once. The leaves look good and healthy if a little lighter green that I am used to.  I can see the beginning flowers too, so I am hopeful of a better harvest this year; as this time last year they were just seeds in compost.

I am always scared about re potting any chill's as they always look so sad for a few days after the event.

Fingers crossed for a good harvest this year  :blush: :blush: :blush:

xx
toms and chillies flowering

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 11:51
by Headgardener22
xx
PSB flowering

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 18:28
by purplebean
xx
Aubergine flowering, now what??

Started by ghost61 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 01:44
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Rhubard is flowering

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2008, 20:10
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 42 queries.