Early Nante carrots

• 17 Replies

hubballi

Early Nante carrots
« on: April 14, 2009, 21:44 »
My early nante carrots I sewed over 3 weeks ago have still not surfaced from my raised bed. Does anyone know how long they take to show? I have been  using poly tunnel to warm soil.

Babstreefern

Re: Early Nante carrots
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 21:48 »
I put my early Nantes carrots in ages ago, and then a week later I put onion sets about the edge of the bed, and the onions are coming up, but no sign of any carrots - although saything this, I've been successful in growing spuds, cabbages, caulis, sprouts, onions, garlic, gooseberry bushes, and all other manner of things, but I've never been successful with carrots.

Oh by the way, this is my 100th message 8)
Babs

ben

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 21:51 »
How deep did you sow them ?
Depending on the location you are in the UK, they can take up to 17 days to germinate - so if you're soil is cold, then I would not be too worried.
Typically carrots are not sown till very late March/early April unless under glass.
I'd give them another week.

greenstan77

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 22:09 »
hi,

I had put my early nantes in about 6 weeks ago. about  3 weeks later i had definate signs of growth, i had used a polythene sheet laid really close to the soil as there was no plants to disturb. works wonders try it its amazing how warm it gets under the polythene

exvmremf

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 22:10 »
I have never tried carrots so this year I am making a carrot box (totally sealed glass frames to deter carrot fly) with a minimum of 1' of sand from the beach (Don't tell the council).

Apparently they grow well in neat sand so I'll let you know later in the year.

Like me I don't expect you to hold your breath.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 22:11 »
Mine have been very well behaved and came up after about 10 days. They are in a deep trough mixed with sharp sand so the soil is warmer.  Ive had loads of seeds that have taken 4 weeks if not longer so dont fret yet,give them another week
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

bendufeu

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 23:00 »
growing early nantes seed from wilkinsons, under fleece (so its warm) in soil with quite a bit of peat, they came up in a week, but were planted in one of the warm weeks recently and in the channel islands.  They were planted then just a few millimeters earth put on top of them then a sprinkle of water..
i  think its the peat that makes them grow so well, as all the plants living in it this year have grown really really well compared to normal.

digalotty

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 23:25 »
starting mine this week 1st attempt at carrots
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 05:22 »
My Early Nantes went in under fleece on 15th March and came up in about 10 days.

Briony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 07:22 »
My Early Nantes were sown last Thursday and then under some plastic, just shown their heads and they are in an old window box which is now on th floor by the greenhouse!

Christine

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 08:10 »
Took 3 weeks for the first signs of carrots to appear but I did plant them just before a frost and we've had a couple of cold nights since then.  The warm weather bought them up but now it has returned to misty grey fog here so ....

Have a word with the weather god - could you have two warmer weeks with spring showers every third day please. Then everything you have sown will start to show. 

Trouble is that you can't buy patience and waiting for things in a packet like seeds or we'd all be very good gardeners  :)

Briony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 08:12 »
Weather is just ordered, so should be with you next week LOL :lol:

allstars_princess

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 08:15 »
Yippee...

Mine are coming up now.  I am so excited as last year I tried twice, admittedly later and with older seed but neither sowing worked.  This year, I run them a deep bath put them in a warm spot and they are responding well. 

Looking forward to my baby carrots. 

DIGGER

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 08:29 »
Eskimo carrots, went in yesterday under fleece

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 09:32 »
My early nante carrots I sewed over 3 weeks ago have still not surfaced from my raised bed. Does anyone know how long they take to show? I have been  using poly tunnel to warm soil.
Mine (Early Nantes) have taken 4 weeks downhere in sunny Berkshire, and I warmed the soil before hand too. The purple haze in the mini polytunnel only took eight days though :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Early Carrots

Started by Mulchy1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 09:41
by sunshineband
xx
Too early for carrots?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 18:00
by alibean
xx
Early carrots.

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2021, 15:28
by Anton

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 38 queries.