shell-less eggs

• 4 Replies

Beano

shell-less eggs
« on: September 30, 2010, 14:09 »
Hi,
One of my older girls stopped laying in April this year after laying 2/3 soft eggs. She did not look too good for a few weeks with her comb getting quite dark. To be perfectly honest I thought that she was just going to fade away because of a bad heart of something age related.
Well in the last few weeks she seems to have perked up no end. Since we've had new pullets she has been looking good with a lovely red comb. I think it has done her good to not be at the bottom of the pecking order.
The thing is; she layed an egg last friday to everyone's surprise (including hers).
Since then she has layed another soft egg. It must be age related because she eats plenty of layers pellets and has access to oyster shell as they all do. But I am worried that she might get an egg stuck inside her due to them being soft.
My question is: How do I encourage her to stop laying for her own sake and just have her healthy and happy to do nothing.
El.

themagicaltoad1

Re: shell-less eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 14:16 »
The quick answer is- you can't. She's just doing what her body naturally wants to do, even if it's not quite right.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 14:31 »
as magicaltoad has said you can't stop from ever laying again, however you could try boosting her calcium by giving her a top up of limestone powder for about 3 or 4 days. Just give her a pinch on something like half a grape or a couple of sweetcorn kernals  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 15:04 »
Do you think a vet would do a hystarectomy spelling ???? On a hen ?  I'm guessing not. Ibknow it wouldn't be the same thing but you get what I mean remove the baby bits
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Beano

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 15:25 »
Thank you all for your replies. I did suspect that I could not stop her from laying.
I will get some limestone powder for her while I'm off work tomorrow.
Cheers.

xx
shell less eggs and partly shelled eggs

Started by symonep on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 19:42
by symonep
xx
shell-less eggs

Started by fifisparrow on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 13:47
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Shell-less Eggs

Started by geordiechick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 13:40
by Carrie99
xx
eggs with no shell

Started by magiemay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 22:44
by magiemay

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 39 queries.