Planting Asparagus (currently in pots, grown from seed)

• 12 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
I've had a trawl of the forums and I have also seen a really interesting video (sorry lost the URL now) of the planting of a "crown" - but it looked more like a large plug plant to me ...

... my plants were grown from seed last year, are now in 6" pots, and already sprouting anything up to half a dozen spears each.

The advice I had read is to make a mound and spread out the roots. That's fine, the bed is all prepared and ready for planting.

However, I think I'm going to disturb the roots a lot doing this - rather than just knocking them out of the pots into planting holes. So I just wanted to check that I should indeed spread out the roots.

Any other planting tips and advice would be welcome - I'm keen to do it the best possible way

savbo

Re: Planting Asparagus (currently in pots, grown from seed)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:31 »
Can you see what the roots are doing in to pots? I think they must be going round and round in 6" pots! So I would just tease them out so they don't crry on going round in the planting holes and plant them with soil still on. If you've got lots of spears you must be doing well so why disturb them?!

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:51 »
I just read from Joy Larkcom that seed-grown asparagus should be grown on the flat, eg no need for the mounding as with the crowns

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:59 »
I just read from Joy Larkcom that seed-grown asparagus should be grown on the flat, eg no need for the mounding as with the crowns

I have a copy, and read the Asparagus pages, but must have missed that! I have now re-read it more carefully :) thanks for that.)

I think I'll go for a bit of a combination - tease out any roots have have done merry-go-round in the pot.

Only 2 years to wait ... :)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 13:02 »
Good luck with them. I am going to grow from seed as well. Can't wait  :D

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 13:17 »
Everything I know and have read says spread out the roots.  

I've never seen mature roots removed from seed beds or pots so I don't know if there is anything that you have to do at that stage before you transplant.  I was recently told that my seed asparagus can be potted on normally just to make sure the new pot had well drained soil in it.  

It is counter intuitive but you want the roots shallow.  The roots seem quite robust to me.  My blog shows what I did with my year old bare rooted crowns.  ( See my signature for the link and scroll down to Labels and look for Asparagus in the labels box on the right hand side).

Plenty of feed and water now and cover well in the autumn with manure and straw to protect the roots from frosts.  

Best of luck.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 13:31 »
Thanks Corynsboy, that all makes sense. I'll see what they look like when I get them out of the pots and then decide

Good luck with them. I am going to grow from seed as well. Can't wait  :D

Good luck to you to! I wish all mine had been F1 seed, some are some aren't - and I expect I will get some female seed-sowing plants ... hadn't thought about that.

I grew mine on in the greenhouse until July or so, which I think brought them on well.

Mine were sown on 01-Apr, took about 14 days to germinate, and were potted up on 10th May. Here's a picture from 15th June
IMG_4861_Asparagus.jpg
IMG_4862_Asparagus.jpg

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 13:45 »
What Corynsboy says about depth is very important. Too deep and it can have a significant impact on your later production.

I have lived in asparagus country in the U.S.. It grew wild by the side of the roads in many areas. Take a walk and you could come back with a bag full. Sigh..those were the days.

Here's a link that may be of some help.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1603.html

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 13:50 »
Corynsboy:

I forgot to say "wonderful website". Its bookmarked and I'll be reading some of your adventures this afternoon.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 14:43 »
Potted asparagus is the almost only way you can disturb the roots without disaster. Root growers raise them in sandy soil so that they can pull them out easily for bareroot sale which is how you'd usually buy them. Mature plants can be a disaster to move.

You're not hacking off any roots by taking them out of the pots and spreading them. In fact, you're doing yourself a huge favour by spreading them. Years back I used to simply pot them straight into the soil and I'd lose a lot. As mentioned, they'll keep curling as they were in the pot.

Now I take the plant out of the pot, carefully spread out the roots so not to break any and also spread them out on a mound of packed sand in a prepared hole. Asparagus crowns are very susceptible to crown rot, hence the raised sand mound. They can happily drain. Then fill with surrounding soil, gently firm in so that the crown tip is about 2" below ground level and water.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 12:03 »
Corynsboy:

I forgot to say "wonderful website". Its bookmarked and I'll be reading some of your adventures this afternoon.

You are very kind.  Thanks for reading Irene.  I try and keep it simple and cheery.  Lots of pictures. 

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 12:35 »
I've only had time to read a few pages, but thoroughly enjoyed your writing style. "Burn the rubber gloves after harvesting your chillies" ... I liked that page :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 08:09 »
All planted :)

I had dug a trench and [well rotted] manured it. That meant that planting depth wasn't going to be quite as deep as I wanted - I wanted to allow finished level, once I had pushed the earth back, to be a couple of inches lower than top-of-pot depth.

So I scraped some manure sideways at each planting station, placed a double-handful of sharp sand and made a bit of a mound, and then knocked the plant out of the pot and separated out its roots. (It worked out at about 1kg of sand / plant, a 20kg bag did 20 plants)

When I potted up last year I used a mixture of 1L, 1.5L and 2L pots that I had lying around ... long-story-short if I was doing it again I would only use 2L pots ...

The fat roots had gone straight to the outside of the pot and then ground around the outside of the rootball. These were easy to separate out in the 2L pots, but in the 1L I had to stick my thumbs into the middle of the bottom and pull hard to get the root ball separated enough to spread out, and even then the dis-entangled roots didn't "stick out" very far. However, it didn't feel like i was breaking any "fat roots", only the small feeing roots, so fingers-crossed.

This reduced the height of the root ball to only a couple of inches - i.e. most of it was transformed from rootball into saucer-shaped flattened roots

I pull back the earth on either side of the row - i.e. leaving the plants in a V about 4" deep, so I have earth to earth up with next Winter, and any watering / rain will be run down to the plants this Summer

Only other thing was something has already had a nibble at the very tips of a lot of the spears - so I have covered the lot with debris netting for now - well, until the Brassica beds is planted and needs it!

xx
Planting out pot grown asparagus

Started by dmhain on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 30, 2010, 22:14
by dmhain
xx
Preparing a raised bed for asparagus grown from seed

Started by weirdsowing on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 21:21
by weirdsowing
xx
Planting asparagus from seed

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2023, 09:05
by Nobbie
xx
Pots Grown In Pots For Christmas.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 21:32
by mkhenry

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 39 queries.