Comfrey

• 7 Replies

Eblana

Comfrey
« on: February 01, 2016, 12:56 »
I am thinking of growing comfrey.  I have a row of cordon apple trees along the boundary of my plot they are at the back of a 1 meter wide bed.  I had strawberries in front of the cordon but have now moved the strawberries to a new bed.  Could I plant the comfrey in this bed or would they take too much away from the apple trees?

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
Re: Comfrey
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 13:12 »
I planted 12 comfrey root cuttings in front of my apple tree last year. The comfrey grew well but I resisted cutting it as it was its first year. I dont know if it was coincidence or a few fallen leaves which fed the tree but I had the best apple crop yet.
I believe that comfrey roots can go down 2 meters so I doubt if it would take much away from the tree.
Give the tree a comfrey feed and it will benefit.

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 13:45 »
I wouldn't plant anything as vigorous as comfrey next to my fruit trees.

Comfrey does have roots that go down a couple of metres but not all its roots go right down there.

If you want to plant something near the trees, how about chives. They seem to keep aphids at bay.

I planted a few garlic 'sets' under my gooseberries a couple of years back as they were spare and I had nowhere else to put them. Never harvested them so they are now growing a bit like chives. Haven't suffered from 'gooseberry sawfly' since I planted them. Now extending the garlic planting under all my gooseberries.

18Forts1999

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 22:14 »
I planted a few garlic 'sets' under my gooseberries a couple of years back as they were spare and I had nowhere else to put them. Never harvested them so they are now growing a bit like chives. Haven't suffered from 'gooseberry sawfly' since I planted them. Now extending the garlic planting under all my gooseberries.

Do you think this would help my Blackcurrants - anything to keep away the 'beasties'
 ;)

Trikidiki

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 22:29 »
No harm trying, mine was just by chance. Could have just been coincidence but a happy coincidence that's meant I haven't had to handpick sawfly for the last couple of years.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 07:05 »
We have our comfrey growing in the same bed as two very old and venerable, but prolific blackcurrant bushes,and they all get on pretty well!

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 08:04 »
Comfrey is good in the garden as it makes wonderful liquid fertilizer. But, if you want to plant under apple trees then why not grow onions, leeks and garlic in pots and troughs as they are great companion crops for apples.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

mrsbean

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 23:57 »
I planted a piece of comfrey in front of my pear tree, it grew huge. Cut it down roots are like docs only thicker potted loads up for others. Still trying to get rid, but it does great feed and helps speed up the compost. I have also put shredded leaves in planting holes in my outdoor tomatoes and they have grown well.

clip
What (if anything) should I do with my comfrey?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 07:10
by Growster...
xx
comfrey

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 08, 2013, 07:31
by Kristen
clip
Comfrey and is this big enough yet?

Started by Plumby on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 07, 2017, 13:02
by arh
xx
Comfrey

Started by veggirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 20:47
by veggirl

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 32 queries.