Green Tomatoes!!

• 4 Replies

plotnumberseven

Green Tomatoes!!
« on: October 21, 2007, 10:25 »
Hello everyone, I have grown three tomato plants in pots this year (I'm quite new to this growing lark!) and they have all grown well, lots of healthy green leaves and lots of lovely large healthy tomatoes - trouble is the tomatoes are nearly all still green! I've had two ripe fruits off one of the plants, and another plant has one that's half ripe and another that has a slight red 'blush'. All the plants have been well watered and I have used a tomato feed as well. How can I get the rest of the fruit to ripen? I have seen other peoples plants which they have cut almost all of the foliage off, is this what I need to do, and if so is there a correct way of doing it?
Real Food Forever!

WG.

Green Tomatoes!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:34 »
Some will still ripen on the plant.  You can take a few trusses into the house and ripen on a windowsill.  Get a green tomato chutney recipe for the remainder.  :wink:

Sally A

Green Tomatoes!!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 10:36 »
I take it these are outside toms.

I de-leafed mine, by say a third, to let the air ventilate, and to stop crawlies setting up home which would be harder to find if they were fully leaved.  Also did you snip out the side shoots (if they're not bush type), as this leads to all the effort going into leaf production rather than fruit.

Sounds like you started them a bit late, mine in an unheated greenhouse have been producing since July, and are still going, with new flowers at the tips.

If they are outside the frosts won't help, can you rig up a shelter?

muntjac

Green Tomatoes!!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 14:01 »
why not cook em as green ,,, they are beut .fried green toms .chutney etc  :wink:  :)
still alive /............

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Green Tomatoes!!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 12:30 »
I had about 20 plants and not one tomato ripened on the vine this year.  I have taken all green tomatoes inside and left them on the table in the conservatory.  They're now all ripening after about 3 or 4 weeks.

xx
green to red tomatoes !

Started by jay001 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 19:27
by spuriousmonkey
xx
Help - tomatoes still green

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 11:58
by benA*grower
xx
green tomatoes

Started by flowerpot girl on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 14:26
by lovemyveg
xx
Green tomatoes

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 16:11
by madcat

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 35 queries.