green tomatoes

• 16 Replies

flowerpot girl

green tomatoes
« on: September 03, 2009, 09:58 »
HI All, I havent been on for months , hope your all well :). here is my problem i hope you can help with, I have stacks of tomato plants ( from 2 packs of seeds, didnt expect so many!) they have been growing out side for months and they are now full of fruit  but still mostly green,the problem is the weather is changing and i havent enough room in my tiny greenhouse for them ,What do i do? a friend said to pick them and put them in a drawer to ripen ,is that right? :unsure: i await your superior knowledge, hope you have all had  a great summer, Flowerpot Girl
flowerpot girl

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: green tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 10:05 »
Welcome back.  Yes, you can do that to ripen them.  You could also make green tomato chutney which is possibly the best chutney of all.  :)
Cheese makes everything better.

flowerpot girl

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 15:10 »
thank you ice, I will do both :D

Sue33

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 15:17 »

apparently adding a ripe banana skin will help to ripen the tomatoes,(must try this at the weekend)  I'm the same as you flowerpot girl, have plenty of toms, but they're still green  :mad:

Riala

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 15:23 »
My toms went on a sunny windowsill.

veggirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 15:27 »
My mum told me to put them in a glass bowl with a ripe tomato, and it is working well; and as an added bonus, they aren't all ripening together, just a few at a time.
 :lol:

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 15:31 »
A professional grower friend says leave the tomatoes on the vine to ripen more quickly. When it gets too cold outside to ripen the toms, check there is no blight on the plants, remove all leaves and cut through bottom of stem. Store the toms on the vine in a cool, dry place.

flowerpot girl

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 18:49 »
Thank you all , I will do as you say Terrier and store them on the vine. By the way have any of you heard of a topsy turvey? its a bag that  you hang up and fill with soil then grow your plants downwards , my son bought it  for a present last year and its brill, the tomatoes are best of all on there, if i was more computer literate i would put up a photo but alas i am not :(

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 20:29 »
Is this what you mean? I've seen them for sale but never tried them, glad it worked for you :)

flowerpot girl

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 11:42 »
Yes thats it, but i think mine is a bit bigger unless its just the way the photo is, it been great and the snails cant get to it so easily. i think they are really good for yards and very small gardens.

hubballi

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 11:50 »
I am picking mine bit by bit and putting them in Tupperware container with lid off with other ripe toms. It does work.

I still don't understand why my outdoor Gardeners Delights have been the same size since beginning of July and still green.

Not just that, my other toms in the greenhouse have been same size for the same amount of time, it's hot in there and I water and feed. Result...still green. Every year I get the same results. Summer ends, tomatoes not ripe.

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 13:03 »
Try a little Epsom Salts (magnesium sulphate)with the feed. This helps the plants to take up nutrients more efficiently. Epsom Salts can also be used as a foliar feed.

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 13:11 »
My dad always puts a ripe bananna in with his to ripen his toms, he swares by it.
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

sclarke624

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 22:12 »
I'm giving mine at least another 3-4 weeks in the garden.  I am still reguarly picking mine, which are turning red still.  I've already picked loads.  I would of thought there is still a bit of time, but then again I am more south than you.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

flowerpot girl

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 08:48 »
my Husband says to leave them in the garden longer but its getting a bit colder up north and i worry that after all that growing from the beginning of summer that they will perish, but now i have lots of good advice on how to ripen them they will not be wasted ,and also how to make green tomato chutney  :)

xx
green to red tomatoes !

Started by jay001 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 19:27
by spuriousmonkey
xx
Green Tomatoes!!

Started by plotnumberseven on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 22, 2007, 12:30
by gregmcalister
xx
Help - tomatoes still green

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 11:58
by benA*grower
xx
Green tomatoes

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 16:11
by madcat

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 34 queries.