compostqueen

Re: Planting leeks - dibber or trowel?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 20:53 »
I use a walking stick  :)

You can use one of those cheapo bulb planters too. They're quite nifty

Spr0ut

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 21:00 »
I don't dig so I haven't got a broken spade handle - narrow width trowel for me.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:45 by Spr0ut »

42cherries

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 07:46 »
I use an old dibber left behind by the previous owners, made from an old spade handle. I've also found that watering well beforehand makes it easier to make the holes. Last year I used a trowel and I struggled to get the leeks in. I found it much easier with the chunky dibber.

Each to their own, I guess!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 09:01 »
I'm planning to use the other end of my hoe - 8ins marked off on it with a white chalk pen.

Snoop

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 09:26 »
I use a 1/12" dia steel tube with a slot  8" up so the soil plug comes out and leaves a clean hole

I use something similar - a bit of old plastic pipe of around the same diameter fitted with another piece inserted through the top to make a T for ease of pushing in (Mr Snoop made this and even padded it with leather for greater comfort). Don't have a slot but a core of soil comes up cleanly. Getting the core out of the pipe can be a challenge. I sometimes need to bash the pipe a bit on a handy stone (lots round here) to loosen it so I can shake it out. The roots go in nicely and it leaves relatively loose rather than compacted soil at the bottom and the sides, so it works well for for watering the leeks in.

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 10:10 »
I'm planning to use the other end of my hoe - 8ins marked off on it with a white chalk pen.

That's what I have done this last week  ;)

Spr0ut

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 10:29 »
I use a 1/12" dia steel tube with a slot  8" up so the soil plug comes out and leaves a clean hole

I use something similar - a bit of old plastic pipe of around the same diameter fitted with another piece inserted through the top to make a T for ease of pushing in (Mr Snoop made this and even padded it with leather for greater comfort). Don't have a slot but a core of soil comes up cleanly. Getting the core out of the pipe can be a challenge. I sometimes need to bash the pipe a bit on a handy stone (lots round here) to loosen it so I can shake it out. The roots go in nicely and it leaves relatively loose rather than compacted soil at the bottom and the sides, so it works well for for watering the leeks in.

I like this idea; a length of water waste pipe with a length of broom handle to push the soil plug out with. Now all I need to do is remember it for next year!

Lardman

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 10:42 »
... Getting the core out of the pipe can be a challenge.

This is the very reason I don't do it any more. 10 seconds to create the hole - 15 minutes trying to get the soil out of the pipe.  :mad:

Goosegirl

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 11:23 »
Good answers on here - thanks. On my silty soil akin to clay and, even adding compost and new top soil to the raised beds, it is still rather easily compacted. My thoughts exactly about compacting the soil at the bottom of the hole when dibbing. I'm going for the trowel jobbie as it is easier on my hands and doesn't require a lot of strength to pull it out either.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

8doubles

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 11:28 »
I used to plant lots of leeks so dibber it was!

Also when watering in, water to the side of the hole to take a bit of soil down or you can float the freshly planted leeklets back out. :mad:

grendel

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 12:12 »
I use the handle end of my rake for everything, peas, beans , leeks, onions, just walk along move the end and lean, a quick twist as you pull out leaves a nice clean hole, drop the pea / bean / onion in, and flip the rake and rake the soil into the holes, minimal bending if you are a good shot with dropping the bean into the hole.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

dugless

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 17:38 »
... Getting the core out of the pipe can be a challenge.

This is the very reason I don't do it any more. 10 seconds to create the hole - 15 minutes trying to get the soil out of the pipe.  :mad:
That is why I use a steel pipe with a slot 8" up, the soil comes out on it own no banging needed.
I have heavy soil when it is dry you cannot dig it so the steel pipe bashed in with a heavy hammer does the job
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 20:29 »
Used my faithful pointed spade handle 500 times today planting pencil leeks,only another 800 to go tomorrow  :lol:
diggity dig dig

8doubles

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 06:23 »
Used my faithful pointed spade handle 500 times today planting pencil leeks,only another 800 to go tomorrow  :lol:

With those amounts to plant a trowel would be an extra days work sore knees and a bad back ! :lol:

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2014, 07:58 »
Old spade/fork handle here. The rate at which hubby is breaking the forks and spades I will be selling them off as dibbers  :lol:

xx
Planting leeks.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2019, 13:11
by Goosegirl
xx
planting leeks

Started by mig55 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 20:23
by DD.
xx
planting out leeks

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 12:09
by mumofstig
xx
Planting leeks

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 14:53
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 30 queries.