tomatoes outdoor

• 9 Replies

viettaclark

tomatoes outdoor
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:12 »
This year I'm going to grow in large pots rather than growbags as I can water them easier.
Would it be ok to put slimy semi-rotted compost and rotted manure in the bottoms to conserve water?
I know tomatoes like potassium but can they do without the nitrogen? I will be feeding them too.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: tomatoes outdoor
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 13:25 »
Too much nitrogen and they will grow leaves, rather than fruit, but other than that I'm not sure whether moisture-retension of manure is better than additional Nitrogen.

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 14:28 »
I thought the rotting process uses up nitrogen?

skewball

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 15:57 »
On a similar-ish vain, I plan to grow bush variety cherry tomatoes (various types to trial as it’s my first year ‘in the garden’) on the patio in containers.

I’m working on the premise that I will sow 8 weeks from when they can go on the patio day and night so working back from say end of May I should not sow until first week in April…

But that feels a little late.. everyone on here seems to have tomatoes on the go, should I just get on with it?????

I wont have a lot of room inside the house but do have one of those plastic mini greenhouse things that may or may not help..??

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 16:09 »
I’m working on the premise that I will sow 8 weeks from when they can go on the patio day and night so working back from say end of May I should not sow until first week in April…

Sounds fine to me :)

A lot of us have greenhouses or polytunnels and that's why we start early.
The few that I am growing outside this year haven't been started yet, so no need to panic  :D

andy135

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 17:02 »
I've just sown all my toms today, indoor and outdoor types. They're sitting on the kitchen window untill they get to about 6" then they'll go in the coldframe for a while to harden them off a little.

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 22:12 »
I'm bumping this up because I still don't know if unrotted compost is ok.  ::) :D :D

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 22:21 »
I'd be a bit bit careful if you're not exactly sure what's in the compost. A couple of years ago I did something similar with some home-made compost that had potato and tomato debris in it. End result...all the tomato plants got blight so since then I don't ever put anything from a potato or tomato on the compost.

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 22:33 »
I thought blight spores are airborne? And when it comes to compost, food scraps won't carry it? I suppose if you put blight infested stuff in the compost....but I don't do that....I put it all in the nice council green bag (don't buy council compost folks...although their tips are incredibly hot...)

gillie

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 06:46 »
I thought blight spores are airborne? And when it comes to compost, food scraps won't carry it?

You are correct.  I think people make too much fuss about blight from compost, or from neighbours' plots.  Blight spores are in the air, and if they find your tomatoes they will increase rapidly.

However I would not  use half rotted compost in the bottom of the pots because there is no way of knowing how much available nitrogen it contains.  Better to use grit and better still stand your pots in gravel trays.

Gillie

xx
Outdoor tomatoes

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 19:25
by NaomiNome
xx
Outdoor tomatoes

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 01:26
by Paul Plots
xx
Tomatoes outdoor

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 19:02
by PembsPanther
xx
Outdoor tomatoes

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 15:04
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 40 queries.