How is your sweetcorn??

• 57 Replies

Hampshire Hog

How is your sweetcorn??
« on: August 05, 2012, 21:25 »
Hi All decided to try to grow more sweetcorn this year.
I have put in some 40 plants all growing pretty well but not all showing signs of corn cobs
despite having flower spikes. Am I impatient or do you think the rotten weather/lack of bees & insects is to blame?? ::)

Cheers HH

Keep digging

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
Re: How is your sweetcorn??
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 21:31 »
my sweetcorns are doing well but they are very thin on stem.i believe because of bad weather.
good luck

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 21:39 »

Mine is coming along very well.  I ditched the 18" apart and crammed them in 6" apart :ohmy:  Tassles are just starting to turn brown and I have three cobs on one plant.

They should be edible when the sprog, sprog's sprog, sprog's wife and sprog's dog descend toward the end of the month.

Cheers,     Tony.

I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Spana

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 21:47 »
Mine are half the height they should be and in a word, rubbish :(

Runners are the same :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 21:48 »
the silks/cobs quite often leave you guessing cos they don't seem to appear until the last minute, whereas the tassels at the top are raring to go  :nowink:

They usually do appear in time to get pollinated and turn brown, though  :)

Mine would be better if we could please have a few days when it isn't so windy ::)

Poolman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 21:54 »
Not seeing to much at the moment with mine, first year with them and have been a bit neglected  :(
New grower here - handle with care!!

davelambo

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 21:56 »
Ive got 2 different varieties growing.
One lot is very healthy and flowering like mad.
the other lot isnt doing so well,looking a bit yellow so gave them a sprinkling of hen poo.
Should catch up in no time.
Lack of insects doesnt alter pollination as corn is wind pollinated,hence the planting in a block rather than a row,

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 08:15 »
Sweetcorn Honeydew - sown 16 April planted out 26 May. Much better than last year - time will tell!
Sweetcorn#1.JPG

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 08:21 »
Not as good as previous years. Flowers on half at best and all less than 3ft tall I guess a bit delayed by all the wet weather but I remain hopeful they will catch up with a nice warm dry spell.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 08:34 »
Last year I sowed and planted out Swift in two batches about 2 weeks apart, and because the first batch copped for sweetcorn-unfriendly weather the second batch overtook the first, in terms of height if not eventual yield.

Did the same this year and they all suffered from the cold conditions  :nowink: - first batch are now quite sturdy but a bit shorter than they should be, and starting to produce male flowers, second batch still got some catching up to do.

A dryer and warmer spell is forecast from Wednesday which could be crucial, although I will be amazed if I get more than 1 good cob per plant, which seems to be about the norm for me (absolutely yummy though!)  :happy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 09:23 »
Well. Planted 4 inch apart. Nice and thick and male flowers just starting

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 09:37 »
I have 8 plants, all 7 foot high and bearing 2-3 cobs each. Considering the poor growing conditions this year, and how the plants were struggling earlier on, I'm really pleased  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

BabbyAnn

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:51 »
Last year was a disaster because I put them outside to harden off and didn't realise just how cold the weather had got in early May.  The plants just didn't seem to respond after that and when still at 9 inches tall in August, I ripped them out in disgust.

This year I sowed later and also held them back in the greenhouse for as long as I could before they started to get pot bound.  It was a good call because I have to say that my plants are doing so much better and healthier than those who planted out earlier.  However, at only about 4 feet they are gearing up to flowering and the creamy tassles are all waiting for pollination - I just hope they can wait just a couple more days until we get the warm dry weather!

Springlands

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:23 »
Very poor  this year - the plants are only about 18 inches tall - but will leave them where there are and see what happens. Very disappointing after having a really good crop last year.  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 11:54 »
Like JayG, I'm growing Swift - a new one for me. I put 8 in the greenhouse and 3 outside. Last couple of years, different variety, have been a dis-aaster   :wacko: and I had no cobs so am trying Swift. The outside ones looked a bit pale at first and didn't grow much, but now look well, are about 3'6"tall (not sure how tall these grow outside) and tassels are forming. The g'house ones - well, they looked really green and sturdy and are touching the roof, but some of the cobs have poked their heads above cover and are teeny with un-pollinated areas, even though I tapped them every day. There are plenty of silks showing still, so here's hoping. Interesting that those planted closer than usual are doing so well. They are greedy feeders so, as long as there's plenty of food for them, it is something for me to try next year.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by suecoops on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 23:03
by muntjac
xx
when should I sow sweetcorn?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 08:32
by Jonajo
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 10:55
by fatbelly
xx
What sweetcorn please?

Started by Daisygirl on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 05, 2012, 08:37
by MyAchingBack

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 40 queries.