Parsnip Problem??

• 5 Replies

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
Parsnip Problem??
« on: December 18, 2019, 14:53 »
Just picked this parsnip, had a couple like this, only the other one looked more like a swede ! Really wide at top and stumpy. I planted them from seed at the allotment by making a hole about 5 inches deep with an old sawn off shovel handle, which I use for leeks. Then filled the hole with compost and planted seed in there, thinking I'd get a  less misshapen crop, as the ground is quite claggy, not as bad as clay, which it was before treatment, but not perfect run through your hands soil. Any advice for the future, do you think they should be ok to eat, I will try it and see, which I suppose is the best way! Just want to grow mormal size ones if I can. :)
Parsnip Pic.jpg

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
Re: Parsnip Problem??
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 14:56 »
I should add that I have chopped off the long thin bit of the root from the bottom.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 15:02 »
It'll be fine to eat.
By way of a possible explanation, I have two main veg areas. One is deep well-draing loam. This produces long tapering parsnips. The other area is reclaimed from pasture, the soil is only about 20 cm deep, is very sticky and over the years I've attempted to improve it with copious amounts of horse droppings. It produces short, squat parsnips just like yours

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 15:15 »
It'll be fine to eat.
By way of a possible explanation, I have two main veg areas. One is deep well-draing loam. This produces long tapering parsnips. The other area is reclaimed from pasture, the soil is only about 20 cm deep, is very sticky and over the years I've attempted to improve it with copious amounts of horse droppings. It produces short, squat parsnips just like yours

Ok, thanks for the reply, its what I thought originally, its nice to have it confirmed. I have a crop rotation system now, and where they are planned to go, the soil seems much better. I'll see how that goes.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 18:50 »
The good news is that the type of claggy soil we are talking about produces quite massive chunky leeks that go to seed much later than the ones on good loamy soil

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 11:17 »
I used to grow parsnips but my soil is also reclaimed farmland with a silty sub-soil and they've never really been a success in looks or taste. I grew one and took a pic of it but I couldn't possibly post it on here or the Mods will ban me for life!  :nowink:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

clip
Parsnip problem

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2017, 19:43
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
parsnip problem?

Started by love-my-plot on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 20:54
by love-my-plot
clip
Problem with parsnip and carrot

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 20:38
by Auntiemogs
xx
A parsnip production problem.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2020, 11:22
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 41 queries.