New Raspberry planting

• 6 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
New Raspberry planting
« on: December 11, 2019, 15:27 »
I am just taking delivery of some new bare root Autumn fruiting Raspberry canes (expecting any moment now  :))
Question, when is best time to get them in the ground? ASAP or can they wait a few weeks?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: New Raspberry planting
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 17:18 »
Any time in the next couple of months, although if you are going to leave it that long you will need to heel them in (more than one way to do that, so perhaps best to Gurgle it rather than me trying to explain it here.) Probably best to wait before planting out if your soil is waterlogged, or if you have yet to prepare the bed for them.

If they've been well packed the roots should still be damp, although it's recommended to soak them in a bucket of water for a few hours before planting anyway.

I planted 5 Joan J canes a week ago - mine arrived in excellent condition, and even had an extra one for luck (didn't immediately realise that when trying to plant them out evenly spaced - thought I was having a senior moment! ::))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 13:42 »
Personally I'd just heel them in unless you already have a bed prepared. They won't take any harm which ever way you choose.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 14:54 »
I've separated mine and loosely planted them round the outside of a 30L bucket of used compost. That will do until they get planted properly and who knows when that will be with all this rain  ::) They'll be ok to Spring in any event!

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 15:26 »
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I will find out about 'heeling in' for now, or the bucket and compost seems a good idea. Need to prepare the bed and what with the rain and all may need some time. They came in tied in a black sack from Ashridge nurseries and look to be quite moist on roots.
Canes are about 18 inches high. Do I cut down after or before planting?
Thanks again.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 16:08 »
I'd leave them as they are (will help you know where to look for signs of growth come the spring!)

When you do get round to planting them out, #1 rule is not to plant them too deep - they really don't like that.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 16:10 by JayG »

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 16:35 »
we had some delivered the other week and we did as been said put them in a bucket of compost because its quite likely they will not be planted till spring

xx
raspberry planting

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 13:35
by JayG
xx
Planting raspberry canes now?

Started by Moonshine132435 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 07:24
by Headgardener22
xx
Re-planting raspberry canes

Started by Hose A on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 18, 2011, 03:08
by Paul Plots
xx
planting raspberry canes

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2012, 15:45
by stephent

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 40 queries.