planning our veg for next season

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

planning our veg for next season
« on: December 06, 2019, 16:15 »
I'm tying a different approach to growing brassicas next season for brussels I want to grow an early variety to pick around September and freeze the then grow a second crop that will produce a crop around December/January same goes for cabbage an early variety summer/autumn variety both ball-headed and pointed type again to put in the freezer with some savoy's January king

again summer cauliflowers for freezing and something like Boris  to overwinter for spring planting the other brassicas like Kale broccoli and calabrese  will be grown as normal as we never seem to get growing brassicas rite  :unsure:

as I said its in the planning stage and even the best plans of mice and men sometimes fail but nothing ventured nothing gained if it works then we fill the freezers if not its a visit to Iceland  :D

any comments on this topic most welcome

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: planning our veg for next season
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 17:42 »
I suppose you've nothing to lose, particularly if you're happy with how each crop cooks after being home frozen.  Any ideas to manage the otherwise inevitable glut are good!

The only thing that occurred to me is to ensure that you've still got sufficient space on the plot left after growing all these brassica crops in order to maintain some semblance of crop rotation.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

Re: planning our veg for next season
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 16:45 »
well I have to say not all the brassicas or veg  will be put in the freezer but as you know as a gardener or grower when things like brassicas come in its all or nothing especially   and we find putting the surplus veg in the freezer keeps us going through the winter months we also freeze some summer fruits

I take your point about space and rotation both go hand in hand as we have space for our crop rotation and as we turned over a couple of years ago to raised beds this has made veg growing easier to manage and the open ground planting is for potatoes squashes runner beans

xx
Planning for the coming season

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 19, 2019, 10:26
by Anton
xx
2020 tomato season (planning ahead)

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2019, 15:02
by Mr Dog
xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999
xx
Planning

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 22:17
by surbie100

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 38 queries.