garden vacs ..... any good?

• 9 Replies

violet

• Experienced Member
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:50 »
We get LOTS of leaves and I want a quick way to pick them up BUT the vac has to cope with lots of straw and wood shavings from the various hen, rabbit and duck houses...Of course I rake up the obvious straw etc but there will always be some still on the ground....    Are the vacs any good?

mrs bouquet

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 15:50 »
Wouldn't be without mine, it chops the stuff up as it goes in the bag.  I have lent it so many times to my daughter, that she watched the local 2nd hand adds and got one just last week, it is perfect and she paid about £30
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Space_Cowby

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 16:08 »
I got one off freecycle, more trouble than its worth and then freecycled it again to some one I knwo has not had much use out it either.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 16:33 »
I'm not a fan but then my OH keeps buying Flymo  :roll:   The first one just expired after sucking up a handful of leaves  :roll:   :roll:  The replacement, another Flymo, holds about a bucketful of leaves before it needs emptying. Getting the bag on and off drives me mental.  There is a yawning gap where the bag meets the body of the machine so it all blows out all over the shop  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:   My old man blows all the leaves into a heap against the wall then uses those big green hand things to scoop them up for bagging. So to conclude, I think ours is pants but much better blowing than sucking

Oh, it's dead noisy too

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 16:42 »
I've tried those electric ones, and couldn't get on with 'em, so I bought a stihl hand held blower that has the vacuum attachment. I've got to say that I've never used the bag 'cos the blower bit's so good. :D

dugless

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 17:04 »
Where its flat like on my drive, I use my rotary mower. it sucks up most of them.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 23:06 »
My wife decided that we should have one. I have mixed feelings about it, it is useful for clearing up leaves etc. where the ground is uneven. Where the ground is fairly even I prefer to use two pieces of plywood to pull the stuff together then pick it up with the plywood to dump it in the Green Bin (or compost bin). I feel that you should not use a vacuum unless absolutely necessary, much better to use the plywood and save electricity.

Although I do have some petrol engined equipment (Strimmer & Rotavator), I am in the process of changing to all electric (Mantis Tiller, Rioby Chainsaw & Performance Power Strimmer & Rotary Mower from B&Q), I have enough lead to reach anywhere on my 1/4 acre from existing power points. Although electricity has increased in price (+5% Vat) it is still cheaper than petrol (17.5% Vat + Road Fuel Tax + having to drive to collect it).

Can anyone explain why the Mantis can dig 10 inches deep with a 780 watt motor but it takes a 1000 watt motor to cut the grass. Doesn't make sense.

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 05:05 »
Quote from: "Larkshall"

Can anyone explain why the Mantis can dig 10 inches deep with a 780 watt motor but it takes a 1000 watt motor to cut the grass. Doesn't make sense.

gearing.

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 21:01 »
I should have thought of that, I did "pulleys,beams and levers" at college (65 years ago). The Mantis has a wormdrive gearbox, that's a big reduction in rpm.

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 16:30 »
Thank you for comments about vacs.....hmmmmm.  Totally confused by the gears etc in other comments!

We have acquired 2 petrol mowers (belong to the vicarage, not us personally) ....I had a go with one of them the other week....eeeeeeek what an experience! could not get the hang of turning...with an electric thingy I would sort of back up a little and move round but of course the petrol one is going forward at quite a pace and doesn't do backwards!

One of the petrol ones (the one I tried) is a Honda with various switches and levers...the other is a John Deer?(think that is the name) looks less complicated to drive, but I cann't start it as the cord thing is too long for me to pull...don't want to make any changes to it as it is usually driven by other people!!!

xx
is this any good

Started by freyaluck on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2007, 17:04
by Gwiz
xx
a good buy here

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2007, 20:50
by shaun
xx
Any good ?

Started by Rangerkris on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 19:02
by Caltrad
xx
Mountfield any good?

Started by Rangerkris on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 06:14
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 33 queries.