Growing beans in containers

• 17 Replies

Grubbypaws

Growing beans in containers
« on: April 29, 2020, 11:51 »
Has any one any experience or tips for growing dwarf beans in containers? I have broad bean 'The Sutton' and Dwarf Borlotti Bean 'Splendido' all germinating nicely but absolutely no space to put them out!

Growster...

Re: Growing beans in containers
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 12:25 »
We're going to plant some out in old buckets, well out of the way, Grubbypaws.

I mentioned somewhere else, that I have a constant fear of letting Mrs Growster down with too few bean plants, so I sowed another thirty, just to make sure...

Any plants which will not fit in the ground on the main frame will just be grown up strings from buckets, probably behind the greenhouse, as I always forget them!

They'll go in a mixture of garden soil and old/new compost (some old stuff from last year and some new John Innes all mixed up and re-fed etc)! They always love it in that mixture!

We sometimes pop a couple in a pot by the front door too, they make a lovely red display among the geraniums, roses etc!

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 12:32 »
You said you wanted to grow dwarf beans in containers and they do very well. Not sure how broad or Borlotti beans will do. Suppose it depends on the size of your containers.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 12:43 »
Growster,

Are we talking about any old bucket? I thought that they had deep roots. What size pots are you using by your front door?

If growing in containers is simpler than I thought I will start sowing more immediately! :D

Can you grow non dwarf beans in the same way? I have other beans that I wasnt going to even try and accomodate!

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 12:52 »
My daughter grows dwarf beans in polystyrene boxes about 10" deep.  She gets them from her local angling shop, always has success,  uses whatever multipurpose compost is on offer.  In her sheltered courtyard they keep going for a long time, 3 sowings, may, early and late july. Done to prove to get husband that it would work.

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 13:57 »
I think the biggest issue you’ll have is the watering. The smaller the container, the more often you’ll have to water and if you grow climbing beans then the large leaf area will mean they guzzle water at a great rate. I’ve grown french beans in containers with good results, but watered often to keep the crop going.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 15:03 »
Growster,

Are we talking about any old bucket? I thought that they had deep roots. What size pots are you using by your front door?

If growing in containers is simpler than I thought I will start sowing more immediately! :D

Can you grow non dwarf beans in the same way? I have other beans that I wasnt going to even try and accomodate!

Bucket with drainage holes, preferably, and a normal one could take about half a dozen or eight at a pinch.

Container growing is a cinch if you just need a result, not necessarily a Chelsea Flower Show winner! When you think that the dear old plants are getting all they need, some water, a check now and then and a bit of a feed, they'll give you a great return - without the digging! We do it a lot of the time here, for most veg, but make sure you add a little garden soil to the mix - you need authenticity, plus better flavour from all the minerals in the soil bit!

We'll be growing runners and probably a few French beans that way, to make sure we have enough - otherwise, feed the village!

I'd get sowing if I were you, and if you need any seed, PM me!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 15:20 »
Thank you for the offer Growster, I probably have enough at the moment but will keep it in mind.

I have germinated The Sutton and the Berlotti in root trainers in a propagator to get an early start. They are getting quite big and will need to be planted out soon. Do I have to worry  about soil temperature in my buckets?

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 18:09 »
Thank you for the offer Growster, I probably have enough at the moment but will keep it in mind.

I have germinated The Sutton and the Berlotti in root trainers in a propagator to get an early start. They are getting quite big and will need to be planted out soon. Do I have to worry  about soil temperature in my buckets?

At the moment, i.e., as we speak, here in Kent, I'm even considering soil temps in buckets etc, and it happens every year I suppose. This evening is just brightening up, but we've had rain all afternoon, so I just gave everything outside, (on black shelves), some TLC, and covered them with debris netting.

But we're sheltered here, by several trees and old brick walls, so my advice would err on the side of caution after all your hard work!

It's a difficult one to call, but there again, buckets also heat up quicker in the morning sun!

If they're outside, then cover them if you can, with fleece, netting etc, but inside, I reckon they're OK

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 19:23 »
Don't forget that broad beans are fully hardy, but dwarf and climbing beans are not frost hardy.  You'll need to protect the dwarf/climbing beans if outdoors.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 12:12 »
I’ve grown runner beans in a large tub.  They cropped well, but you have to be sure to water well each day and feed them.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 09:43 »
Don't forget that broad beans are fully hardy, but dwarf and climbing beans are not frost hardy.  You'll need to protect the dwarf/climbing beans if outdoors.

What about dwarf broad beans?

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 14:38 »
They're still quite hardy, GP, we've had sweet peas out for three weeks now, and they're bounding away at the moment - especially after several coats of rain!

Our broad beans have been in the open for two weeks, and are also having a reasonably good time, I'll need to string them soon...

lettice

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 08:56 »
I have grown for many years french purple dwarf beans and Sonesta dwarf beans in pots.
Thy do well in there and crop well, but have found the french purple beans produce twice the crop when not in pots. Sonesta do well in and out of pots.
They do dry out quicker than beans not in pots, so regular watering is necessary and I find its better to arrange the supporting canes in a square or rectangle rather than a pyramid, giving them a more natural spread. You will have to do some early manual training.
Found a rectangle or square pot works just as well as a round one and about six to 8 inches deep is what I have used.
Not sure about runner, broad beans of bolotti type beans in pots as they have larger and deeper roots and would need to be apart a little more when growing and would need a large pot. Have though seen some people use growbags to grow runner and broad beans with great success on a patio.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 18:19 »
Is dwarf broad bean The Sutton frost sensitive?

xx
Growing in containers

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 10:37
by AdrianH
xx
Growing In Containers

Started by JeanetteCoulson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 15:47
by Ice
xx
Growing sweetcorn in containers

Started by gardengnome on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 07:54
by gardengnome
xx
growing potatoes in containers

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 18:22
by philskin

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 53 queries.