help! really nasty pecking going on

• 7 Replies

louiseb22

help! really nasty pecking going on
« on: September 15, 2010, 22:16 »
 chucks have been with us two weeks on friday and one of them "Lucy" is getting pecked in the eye! got conjunctivitis drops for her as it seemed infected and she was keeping it closed...looked great yesterday not perfect but open and not weepy, and she really started to get involved again with the others but this evening i noticed she was off on her own again she had been pecked and there was blood i tried bathing it to see exactly where the cut was but it was too sore for her and would not open her eye. i put her back out in the garden and by 6.30 she was in the coup on a perch...was after 7.30 befor the last went in. on doing the head count befor closing up lucy and another were sleeping in the nest box and the others dotted around on perches.
they have free roaming of our garden with lots of plants shrubs and bushes they get fruit and veg etc every afternoon and there are little mirrors hanging in the caged area.

do they attack one that is not well?

could it be because of the drops that they are pecking at her eye?

not sure which came first initially the infection or the peck!

will go for anti peck treatment tomorrow but not sure if this is any good?
Thanks guys
1 Coral Nick, 1 Rhode Rock, 1 Light Sussex,  2 Speckledy, 1 Columbian blactail, 2 welsummer, 1 Columbine
and 18 ducks/drakes/ducklings mix xxx

bantam novice

Re: help! really nasty pecking going on
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 22:32 »
It sounds horrible.   :(

I'm sure you'll get some expert advice here.  You may need some purple spray (gentian violet, I think).  I understand that disguises the blood and therefore discourages pecking.  It also acts as an antiseptic, I believe.

Good Luck!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

louiseb22

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 22:41 »
 :( Thanks for advice... it is awfull and Lucy is so lovely my little girl adores her! can i get this purple spray from pet shops?

rachelr

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 22:52 »
I bought some yesterday from a horsey type shop. you wont get it from pets at home. I fyou live in a town it might be better to order it on line. Its about a fiver a bottle.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 23:07 »
They will peck a weaker bird, survival of the fittest and all that.  If they've pecked her in the eye itself, don't use the spray near her eyes.  You may have to segregate her until you've sorted out her eye infection, but then you may have trouble integrating her back into the flock afterwards.

Whoever said chickens are easy to keep, never kept chickens!!   :D

louiseb22

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 09:03 »
there are a couple of horsey shops in town so will check them out thanks x

orchardlady

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 15:00 »
As Granny Annie suggests it might be sensible to segregate her from her pecky friends. If possible in a cage where everyone can see everyone. Try feeding you poorly hen near the edges and the free roaming ones near the cage so it 'feels' like they are all still eating and scratching together but the poorly bird is protected. If you don't have any night time accommodation pop her back into the hen house at night and then back in her run/cage during the day. Make sure there is a little weather protection as she will not be able to get out of the rain etc. Try to move her cage/run to fresh ground each day so she is living on 'clean' ground which will offer her interest and keep her 'moving' within the flock.

louiseb22

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 21:40 »
been using anti peck spray on her which Lucy really does not like but she doesn't seem to be getting pecked at as much but she keeps away from the others a lot and her eye lids are still getting stuck together on the pecked eye. i keep bathing it and that unsticks it temporarily. she is feeding and hopefully drinking too as i put a separate water container out for her on the decking where she often resides during the day.

will she remain an outcast if she does not mingle more?

xx
its getting nasty

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2007, 11:37
by muntjac
xx
Nasty Hen

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 13:02
by Jeanette
angry
Nasty hen...well sort of!

Started by virgotiger on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 19:31
by virgotiger
xx
nasty cockerel

Started by goldenchic on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 08:46
by Sassy

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 38 queries.