Nasty hen...well sort of!

• 32 Replies

hillfooter

Re: Nasty hen...well sort of!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2009, 23:06 »

[/quote]

I read that book to, and found that it didn't make any sense either. chucks will eat anything, watch a wild one and you would be shocked as it hunts for mice, they are origanally omnivorous,

Feed grit and oyster shell regardless of the pellet make, even if it comes from the queen herself, the birds still need this to break down their feed in their crops.

[/quote]

Archiesgems I'm not sure what your comment is refering to but my advice on Layers feed came from one of the few professionally qualified animal nutritionalists in the country and who is an animal scientist working for a major feeds company so I tend to trust it.  The point is if a hen isn't consuming grit these's no need to be concerned as she'll be getting it in her feed and will be picking it up from the environment in this case.
However as I said I personally don't put my money where my mouth is on this one as I do make mixed grit available.  Probably because every book I've read avocates using insoluable & soluable (oyster shell for calcium) grit but I think really that's just motherhood and today's feeds including those not supplied by the queen contain all the calcium needed for egg shells. 
Of course if their eggs show a shell problem the standard advice is to increase the calcium level but there are also other minerals and vitamins deficiencies or excesses which could be to blame including how individual hens metabolise these substances.
Regards
Truth through science.

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 00:13 »
like you Hillfooter, I base the feed on layers pellets, available ad lib, they are sort of free range, having the free run of my large garden, but have still put down a hopper of mixed grit.

They (and there is 22 of them) gradually eat their way through the oyster shell, at a rate of about a handful a month, but  don't eat the grit (I guess they find enough of that in my rose garden!). At such a small amount being eaten, I also believe there is enough in the good quality layers/breeders pellets I give them. But its good to know that the grit/oyster shell is available for when they feel the need :D
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

virgotiger

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 19:31 »
UPDATE!! i've been playing surrogate cock for a couple of days now..and the last 2 times i've gone out into the garden my pecky hen has come up to me and just looked at me with those beady little eyes..but no peck! so hopefully i've put her in her place! thanks for all the advice!
4 kids,3 guinea pigs 1 bantam buff orpington, 1 warrens and 4 silkies...oh and a fella that thinks i'm weird!

xx
its getting nasty

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2007, 11:37
by muntjac
xx
Nasty Hen

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 13:02
by Jeanette
xx
Nasty shock fox about

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 14:24
by daisy1990
xx
Nasty little chooks!

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 21:34
by bravemurphy

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 38 queries.