Nasty hen...well sort of!

• 32 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Nasty hen...well sort of!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 09:44 »
Make sure they always have oyster shell available to them for extra calcium to build their egg shells virgotiger !

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 11:59 »
I would just like to say although the water method doesn't seem to be recommended it didn't stress them at all, I used it once to stop 2 hens scrapping, 1 squirt and they went their seperate ways, another time before i could move a broody hen to a seperate den the temperature went up high so i sprayed her and i swear she enjoyed it :lol:
 Anyway, good luck with your hen :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

virgotiger

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 14:01 »
my hen does do the squat thing when i go to pick her up! as for oyster shell if i leave it in a separate dish they dont touch it so i mix a bit in with their feed..sometimes it still gets left behind! is there anything food wise that i can give for calcium? they dont seem too fussy when it comes to my kids sneaking out their left overs but i'm not too sure what they can or cant have apart from veg ,corn and pellets! thanks
4 kids,3 guinea pigs 1 bantam buff orpington, 1 warrens and 4 silkies...oh and a fella that thinks i'm weird!

hillfooter

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 15:57 »
Although Aunt Sally puts stress on separately feeding oyster shell in actual fact you don't needed to as if you feed them good quality layers (pellets preferably) this contains a balanced diet for egg laying and has all the calcium they need.  You do need to ensure they have access to insoluable grit as hens don't have teeth and they rely on grit in their gizzards to grind up their food (particularly if they eat corn).  Hens kept on grass with access to open ground will find all the grit they need unless it's clay and therefore to be sure you can suppliment it with mixed grit which contains oyster shell as well as insoluable grit.  (Grit comes in soluable (generally oyster shell) or insoluable (crushed gravel) or mixed).  I use mixed in a sepaqrte gritbox  not in their food, but really it's just extra insurance.

Re nutrition generally you should feed a basic diet of layers pellets. Much easier for a small number of hens than mash which needs to be fed in troughs per meal whereas pellets are more hygenic in free range systems and can be fed ad lib in gravity hoppers.  You can suppliment this with a treat such as a handful of corn per hen each evening (no more).  Household scraps are OK but don't over feed or you'll unbalance their diet. 

Chickens are like children who would eat crisps, ice cream and sweets permanently if you offered them.  It's OK to offer them "treats " ocassionally (once a week and no more than 10% of their total diet) things such as sweet corn, pasta, cooked rice.  Fresh veg such as lettuce tomatoes, grapes, apples, cabbage is Ok.  Mine don't touch carrot.  Potatoes & peelings should be cooked as starch is indigestible.  They will also eat most things with seeds such as melon seeds or seeds from peppers though not the chilli ones (at least I haven't tried this).  Don't give them citrus fruit at all. 

Some people on this site feed cat meat as an extra protein suppliment and a treat but I'm very dubious about this as overweight hens are unhealthy and they can be prone to being obese quite apart from the fact it's illegal to do this if there's any danger of the animal entering the human or animal food chain.  If you feel the need to provide extra protein for a medical issue such as recovery from a heavy moult or illness you can feed growers pellets which contain more protein or I guess dried cat food if you don't intend to eat the chicken.  However once the need has passed revert back to layers which as I have said provides a healthy balanced diet.  You'll find lots of people advocating alsorts of concoctions to feed then .  I've seen people who think it's a good idea to mix rolled oats, honey & yogurt and other goodies together as their patent health mix.  They maybe OK occassionallly as a treat but for normal staple diet trust the experts at the feed companies who have proven their formula scientifically and don't be tempted to overdose on suppliments unless your vet or a similarly knowledgible person has recommended it for a medical reason.
Incidentally I use Spillers Layer pellets, poultry corn,  and Marriages Growers.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 23:02 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 16:05 »
I know this helped for us ........whenever we get a pecky hen,or cockerel for that matter, I follow the advice of a friend which was to instantly pick it up for a cuddle, as this is the last thing they are expecting and it seems to work. I do however think it works best with a young bird.
I'm still only 18 months into this hen keeping thing so if I am way out here I am sure someone will put me right.
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

virgotiger

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 16:09 »
thanks for the advice...not sure on the make of the layers pellets as where i get it from(the only place near me, jolleyes) its in a big barrel and you just fill your bucket with however much you need...but have asked my local pet shop to get some in for me and also some grit/oyster shell mix...hopefully better quality..they are free range hens so would think they get everything they need..plenty of snails although they only eat tiny ones i would think the shells on those are just as good..surely?..thank heavens for this site!!!!

virgotiger

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 16:13 »
...Hillfooter...i've been playing "surrogate cock"  all afternoon and when she comes for a peck i hold and do as you suggested..she actually seems to have backed of a bit!
 i'm sat in the garden now and all 3 are having a dust bath....makes it all worth while these little moments! x

Foxy

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 16:21 »
...Hillfooter...i've been playing "surrogate cock"  all afternoon and when she comes for a peck i hold and do as you suggested..she actually seems to have backed of a bit!
 i'm sat in the garden now and all 3 are having a dust bath....makes it all worth while these little moments! x

sounds like a nice afternoon ??? ??? :lol: :lol: sorry off to the "norty step!"

virgotiger

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 16:25 »
 :lol:  i wonder if all chicken keepers are a wee bit of their trollies lol my other half thinks i've lost the plot!! or maybe he feels left out..

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 16:42 »
Although Aunt Sally puts stress on separately feeding oyster shell in actual fact you don't needed to as if you feed them good quality layers (pellets preferably) this contains a balanced diet for egg laying and has all the calcium they need.  You do need to ensure they have access to insoluable grit as hens don't have teeth and they rely on grit in their gizzards to grind up their food (particularly if they eat corn).  Hens kept on grass with access to open ground will find all the grit they need unless it's clay and therefore to be sure you can suppliment it with mixed grit which contains oyster shell as well as insoluable grit.  (Grit comes in soluable (generally oyster shell) or insoluable (crushed gravel) or mixed).  I use mixed in a sepaqrte gritbox  not in their food, but really it's just extra insurance.
Re nutrition generally you should feed a basic diet of layers pellets (much easier for a small number of hens than mash which needs to be fed in troughs per meal whereas pellets are more hygenic in free range systems and can be fed ad lib in gravity hoppers.)  You can suppliment this with a treat such as a handful of corn per hen each evening (no more).  Household scraps are OK but don't over feed or you'll unbalance their diet.  Chickens are like children who would eat crisps, ice cream and sweets permanently if you offered them.  It's OK to offer them "treats " ocassionaly (once a week and no more than 10% of their total diet) things such as sweet corn, pasta, cooked rice.  Fresh veg such as lettuce tomatoes, grapes, apples, cabbage is Ok.  Mine don't touch carrot.  Potatoes & pealings should be cooked as starch is indigestible.  They will also eat most things with seeds such as melon seeds or seeds from peppers though not the chilli ones (at least I haven't tried this).  Don't give them citrus fruit at all.  Some people on this site feed cat meat as an extra protien suppliment and a treat but I'm very dubious about this overweight hens are unhealthy and they can be prone to being obesse quite apart from from the fact it's illegal to do this if there's any danger of the animal entering the human or animal food chain.  If you feel the need to provide extra protien for a medical issue such as recovery from a heavy molt or illness you can feed growers pellets which contain more protein or I guess dried cat food if you don't intend to eat the chicken.  However once the need has passed revert back to layers which as I have said provides a healthy balanced diet.  You find lots of people advocating alsorts of concoctions to feed then .  I've seen people who think it's a good idea to mix rolled oats, honey & yogurt and alsorts of goodies together as their patent health mix.  They maybe OK occassionallly as a treat but for normal staple diet trust the experts at the feed companies who have proven their formula scientifically and don't be tempted to overdose on suppliments unless your vet or a similarly knowledgible person has recommended it for a medical reason.
Incidentally I use Spillers Layer pellets, poultry corn,  and Marriages Growers.

Regards

Sorry hillfooter, I can't read your post as it is one HUGE paragraph  >:(

I did managet the first half sentance before it all became a blurrrrrrrr    :(

If your hens free range they will not be eating pellets all the time so you need to ensure that an extra source of calcium is provided.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 18:37 »
wash their egg shells, bake them in the oven and then crush them. Mix this with their feed or sprinkle on your lawn and they will peck at it and eat - well mine do anyway  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

archiesgems

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 19:29 »
Re nutrition generally you should feed a basic diet of layers pellets (much easier for a small number of hens than mash which needs to be fed in troughs per meal whereas pellets are more hygenic in free range systems and can be fed ad lib in gravity hoppers.)  You can suppliment this with a treat such as a handful of corn per hen each evening (no more).  Household scraps are OK but don't over feed or you'll unbalance their diet.  Chickens are like children who would eat crisps, ice cream and sweets permanently if you offered them.  It's OK to offer them "treats " ocassionaly (once a week and no more than 10% of their total diet) things such as sweet corn, pasta, cooked rice.  Fresh veg such as lettuce tomatoes, grapes, apples, cabbage is Ok.  Mine don't touch carrot.  Potatoes & pealings should be cooked as starch is indigestible.  They will also eat most things with seeds such as melon seeds or seeds from peppers though not the chilli ones (at least I haven't tried this).  Don't give them citrus fruit at all.  Some people on this site feed cat meat as an extra protien suppliment and a treat but I'm very dubious about this overweight hens are unhealthy and they can be prone to being obesse quite apart from from the fact it's illegal to do this if there's any danger of the animal entering the human or animal food chain.  If you feel the need to provide extra protien for a medical issue such as recovery from a heavy molt or illness you can feed growers pellets which contain more protein or I guess dried cat food if you don't intend to eat the chicken.  However once the need has passed revert back to layers which as I have said provides a healthy balanced diet.  You find lots of people advocating alsorts of concoctions to feed then .  I've seen people who think it's a good idea to mix rolled oats, honey & yogurt and alsorts of goodies together as their patent health mix.  They maybe OK occassionallly as a treat but for normal staple diet trust the experts at the feed companies who have proven their formula scientifically and don't be tempted to overdose on suppliments unless your vet or a similarly knowledgible person has recommended it for a medical reason.

Regards

I read that book to, and found that it didn't make any sense either. chucks will eat anything, watch a wild one and you would be shocked as it hunts for mice, they are origanally omnivorous,

Feed grit and oyster shell regardless of the pellet make, even if it comes from the queen herself, the birds still need this to break down their feed in their crops.

virgotiger

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 19:38 »
i've been baking their egg shells and crushing them and putting it in with their layers pellets as on its own they wont touch it(the egg shells) the grit i do keep seperately and although i'm not sure how much to give it goes down gradually so i'm guessing they take what they need...its only the one hen causing me grief.......    :(

virgotiger

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2009, 19:59 »
here's my naughty girl the day i got her....... not sure if she's a rir or something else..
elizabeth1.jpg

Foxy

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 20:16 »
I dont think thats a rhodey, looks like a warren to me :)

xx
its getting nasty

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2007, 11:37
by muntjac
xx
Nasty Hen

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 13:02
by Jeanette
xx
Nasty prolapse

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 10:22
by Flowerpower136
xx
Nasty shock fox about

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 14:24
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 36 queries.