Finally!

• 9 Replies

skywatcher

Finally!
« on: August 02, 2009, 16:27 »
So, finally, I have finished building the coop and run and bought our hens today.

I have been looking at getting hens for about three years but lost heart when trying to build the coop and then our child arrived - I carried on buying and reading the books, magazines and this website. Finally this year it was either burn the coop (which was just a frame with all the materials previously bought to finish the job) or actually get on with it. I finished it all, built the run, using buried weldmesh etc and decided that it was finally time.

We have two Skylines (apparently they shoudl lay blue eggs?) and two Rhode Stars bought from Thornes at Letchworth, who must be sick of the sight of me, I have been there so often.

Now we are working on names.

poultrygeist

Re: Finally!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 17:16 »
Welcome skywatcher  :)

Any chance of photos so we can congratulate you on a job well done  :D

...and apparently, some members like to see photos of hens  ::)

Rob 8)

nzdunn

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 17:25 »
hello and welcome to the forum, well i think we should see all your hard work and your lovely birds, it will be definatley something you will have wished you did get around to doing sooner   nickyx :D

skywatcher

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 17:36 »
Welcome skywatcher  :)

Any chance of photos so we can congratulate you on a job well done  :D

...and apparently, some members like to see photos of hens  ::)

Rob 8)

On the advice of the chap who sold them to us I put them in the house and left them for 20 minutes before opening the door. I have opened the door but for now they seem to want to stay indoors. I'll take it as a compliment on my coop building skills.

Photos will follow!

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 17:39 »
It's often advised to leave them in the coop overnight but they'll work out where they live come bedtime (assuming they ever come out  :unsure::D

Rob 8)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 18:39 »
Hi and welcome, if they want to stay inside for today don't worry - tomorrow they will come out and be ready to have their pictures done  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

skywatcher

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 22:00 »
I started writing a post at about 8:30pm when OH called me as one of the girls was out of the run. After a little chasing/blocking she went back in voluntarily.

The run is made with 8' posts banged about 18" into the ground, so effectively 6'6" of wire. The weak point was the gate which is a little shorter and the fact that I built the house on quite high stilts to save on bending down when cleaning. Last night one of the girls was on the roof making a racket, we were out today and when I got back they were all in ok although now I suspect they may have been out before. We didn't see her get out but suspect it was a brave jump from the roof of the house onto the gate and down. All their wings were clipped at the point we bought them - I watched them being done.

Tonight we managed to build a roof over the half of the run that the house and gate occupy using chicken wire as luckily I had a few spare rolls of cheap stuff from Wilkinsons. We haven't done badly, considering it was getting dark and although the roof doesn't cover the whole run (yet) I think that we may have stopped any further escapes.

Photo as promised...
Chickens.jpg

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 22:07 »
If you can, see about putting a solid roof on the run to keepthe rain out. Once they've manured it for you, the rain will cause it to ferment and get really smelly, unless you keep it scrupulously clean by raking the poo out.

Well done for stopping their escape attempts.  :D

Rob 8)

skywatcher

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 18:29 »
If you can, see about putting a solid roof on the run to keepthe rain out. Once they've manured it for you, the rain will cause it to ferment and get really smelly, unless you keep it scrupulously clean by raking the poo out.

Well done for stopping their escape attempts.  :D

Rob 8)

Thanks Rob, I had considered a roof although the very kind couple across the road who showed me their setup said it wasn't necessary as none of theirs had ever escaped. Where the run is can get a little sticky though so I may have to look at plastic before winter.

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 19:13 »
It does make a huge difference. The ground will get soggy and become acidic, not allowing the bacteria to break down the poo and it just ferments into a nasty, smelly mess (or something equally technical  :D)

We managed a few months with ours open but have never regretted the money and effort of roofing. Corrugated plastic sheets from any major DIY store. About £5/sheet give or take £1.

Rob 8)

xx
Finally got to ask this

Started by Celtic Eagle on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 22:32
by blulagoo
xx
I finally got my first egg!!

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 10:41
by JaK
xx
Finally ...

Started by cluckingmad on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 20:37
by babypoogle
xx
I finally took the dive!!

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 14:39
by Dawnuss

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 37 queries.