Tomatoes

• 3 Replies

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Tomatoes
« on: July 13, 2008, 17:12 »
Hi all

Tomatoes in greenhouse have been growing well.  However some of the lower leaves are showing signs of yellowing then brown bits and the description matches perfectly the one in DG Hessayon which is for magnesium defficiency which he says is only made worse by standard feeding.

Hessayon says to spray with diluted Epsom Salts and to prevent it feed with a fertiliser containing magnesium.

Questions if anyone can help please:

1. how serious is this am I going to loose all the tomatoes - (would be so very sad I have nutured these from seed and have been very proud of myself as first time ever growing them)

2. can I use growmore in the pots (have pelleted version) to help pep them up, as I believe this contains magnesium or is there a better one to use

3. how long will I need to spray them for or is it a good idea to continue all the way to the end of life

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated - thank you very much

willnbirdie

richardwil

Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 18:11 »
Hi

First thing - don't worry, I usually get something similar every year.

You need to get some Epson Salts to sort this out. If you have some in your medicine chest you can use this but I buy it at a garden centre as this is much cheaper. As far as I know it is the same but not medical grade.

My box states 2.5 oz in 2 gallons which to me is a good handfull. Water this into the root area. I put 2 gallons on 5 plants and it has always been enough.

You can make a dilute solution to spray on the leaves as they absorb moisture and nutrients quicker through their leaves than roots. Spray on an evening though not in full sun. Spray the undersides of the leaves as well, as they absorb more nutrients than the tops.

Repeat this in a couple of weeks and things should get better.

As for a fertiliser I would not use growmore as this is a general fertiliser. While at the garden centre buy a tomato feed as these are specifically designed for tomatoes (but also feed my chillies and cucumbers as well). They also contain magnesium to combat magnesium deficiency.

You can get powder or liquid feed, some need to be applied every watering, some twice a week. I use a granular/powdered form which is applied at every watering but that is because I have an automatic watering system which operates 4 times a day in the summer. Writing this has made me think that I may add a couple of handfulls of Epsom Salts to the fertilizer comtainer when I go away. However, I have applied 2 handfuls of E Salts today and watered in well so maybe that will be enough.

I also use a seaweed extract in my veg garden which does not add any feed but is supposed to help develop the condition of the soil. I have added that to my tomatoes just to see if it helps.

To sumarise.

Get some Epsom Salts to spray the leaves and water the roots.
Feed with a specific tomato feed
Don't panic

and

Its Sunday, its after 6pm  

so read this, relax and have a beer or wine or your favourite tipple and look forward to a good crop of tomatoes

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 18:20 »
What a fantastic reply Richard - thanks - off the the garden centre tomorrow am for the epsom salts and will check the tomato feed that I have to ensure that it contains magnesium.

You have put a worried mind to rest thank you - we have so many flowers with fruit setting now that the though of loosing my beloved crop was almost too much.

Cheers

willnbirdie

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Tomatoes
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 18:54 »
This could also simply be the leaves getting old! The Epsom Salts won't harm though.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Tomatoes

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 22:22
by shokkyy
xx
Tomatoes

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 20, 2015, 10:52
by AnneB
xx
Bl***dy tomatoes

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 16, 2006, 21:34
by ytyynycefn
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 21:11
by Flump

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 35 queries.