Chickens & veg beds?

• 5 Replies

Happy-Hound

Chickens & veg beds?
« on: January 22, 2011, 07:05 »
I can't let my chickens free range as I have a wirehaired pointer who would have them straight away (we are already one down!).  They have a fairly large walk in run surrounded by an electric fence to stop him getting in.  I would like them to be able to roam a bit more so I am thinking of putting an electric poultry fence up for them near the coop which is with the veggie beds.  So my question is will they destroy the veggies if I let them free range in that area?  What I'd like to do is put the poultry netting from the door of the run around the whole veg area so that they can get back into the run for food, water & shelter if needed.  Thanks, Alf

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Chickens & veg beds?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:11 »
I'm afraid they will destroy your veg patch in record time! :( They love to scratch around in the turned soil and they will scratch up all your seedlings and smaller veg. plants. We have our veg. patch fenced for just this reason and they still used to fly/jump over the chest-high fence on occasion or between the slats on the gate, until that was wired over. ::)

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:12 »
two years ago I grew green beans, tomatoes, sweetcorn, cauliflowers and cabbages where my chickens could free range - I got to eat the green beans only, the chickens treated it like their own supermarket and enjoyed the rest of it  :lol:.
So in short whilst they are great to help you dig up the soil and will eat any nasty bugs do not have them around crops that you want to keep for yourself.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Happy-Hound

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 13:44 »
Okay.........so that's a no-no then!  I'll have to think of something else.  I was trying to avoid having to transport them from their coop/run to a fenced off area but I guess I'll have to unless I can think of some other configuration.  I can't let them loose at all they just wouldn't survive the dog.  I'll keep working on it.  Thanks for your replies.  Alf.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 13:45 »
I am baffled by my lot, they free range when I am on the plot but they don't seem to be that bothered with my veg, more like they prefer the wildlife around, they have the odd peck here and there but never devour a crop.
They love spiders, often jumping as high as they can to get them.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 23:11 »
How about dog obedience lessons? We used to have a German Shorthaired Pointer and they are easy to train very bright and bidable. Dippy until they are about 3 but after that a fantastic dog.

OL

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
Hen Houses to buy in Herts, Beds and Bucks

Started by thelittlers on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 16:50
by retribution

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 34 queries.