Broody hen not eating

• 2 Replies

wildy78

Broody hen not eating
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:41 »
I finally gave in to my broody and brought 6 Welsummer and 6 Barnvelder fertile eggs off a reccommended seller off ebay.  She has sat happily on the eggs for 7 days so far without appearing to venture off the eggs to use the loo nor eat or drink.  I have put food and water in her broody coop, still no movement.  This morning i decided that she needed to move so fed her by hand a bit then picked her off the eggs and placed her in the run.  She happily ate the grapes i gave her, a bit of pellets then back in after a couple of minutes.

She is a silver laced wyandotte.  Do i need to keep doing this everyday to keep her fed and hydrated or do i just leave her to sort herself out?

Noticed yesterday that one of the eggs had been taken from the broody and broken/eaten, she also looks as though she has been chewed on her back and on her comb by something.  Could this be a rat or magpie, access to her pen was difficult.

Either way moved her from the yard to my back garden at home just in case.
1 wife, 1 daughter, 2 dogs, 1 horse, 1 Copper black maran, 1 Cherry Maran, 1 Speckled, 1 Sussex, 1 welsummer, 1 dorking, 1 silver laced wyandotte
6 new arrivals - 3 welsummers 3 barnvelder.
5 more new arrivals (pullets) - white star, fenton blue, fenton rose, plymouth rock, silver sussex

Casey76

Re: Broody hen not eating
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 12:23 »
You should lift the hen off the eggs twice a day to allow her to eat, drink and poo.

Some hens are too good, but if she doesn't eat she will lose too much weight over the three weeks.

wildy78

Re: Broody hen not eating
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 20:12 »
Thanks Casey  :)

Wasnt too sure if i could.  I have done it a few times now and she does exactly as you said, poos, drinks eats then back on the eggs within a few minutes.

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 39 queries.