Wind burned fuchsia plants

• 12 Replies

Springlands

Wind burned fuchsia plants
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:24 »
OH planted six hardy fuchsia plants last year and they did really well - lots of nice flowers even though it was their first  year.  In mid March they were just starting to develop new leaves and looked as if they had survived the winter. The came the awful weather at the end of March - we had days and days of hail, sleet, snow and horrible salt laden winds. Now the fuchsia just look dead - the leaves have been totally burnt off. Even the large established plant looks a bit ragged.

The only thing that I can think of at present is to keep them well watered and give them a good feed but any other suggestions gratefully received.

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
Re: Wind burned fuchsia plants
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 21:53 »
The top growth of even hardy Fuchsias is never fully hardy, its the roots that survive the winter and then send up new growth in the spring. The normal practice is to wait untill you see the new shoots at the base then cut all the old stems back to the base.

So I would say that your plants should be okay and new shoots will come from the roots once this weather warms up a bit.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

Spana

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 22:10 »
My hardy fuchsia's look the same Springlands, all top growth appears dead.  A lot of my hydrangeas have suffered in the last weeks as well. I think all we can do now is what  yorky suggests and wait and hope and cut out the dead stuff if they shoot from the base. But if it does turn very cold again i would ease up on the watering. Frost, wet ground, and roots is not a good combination.
My hardy fuchsias were new last year as well. I've lost lot of plants this year, much more than ever before. It was the icy wind that did it for mine   :(

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 22:19 »
Do you have a picture Springlands?  I only say this as I was told by a garden centre that my cherry bay was wind burned when in fact I had the (to me anyway) dreaded vine weevil...
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 13:36 »
No pics Aunty Mogs but I am as sure as I can be that it is all down to windburn - some of the other plants in the garden are also suffering but not as bad as the fuchsia plants which were just planted last year.

Spana - those icy winds this year have have really, really caused havoc so I feel for you regarding your plants - my hydrangeas are also suffering. Unfortunately I have no choice regarding the watering - it is pouring here and due to keep on doing so for the next few days - cannot complain too much the grass really needs it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 13:44 »
The recent cold winds have burned/stripped all the new leaves from the climbing roses around the door - I've never seen that happen before  :ohmy:

Silkychicks

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 13:31 »
Normally as soon as the weather picks up juices start to flow. When it gets cold again juices slow down.
So it is possible that it wasn't just the cold.

That is good for good hopes :) chances are bigger buds will turn green or the plant will start making new branches, like yorky said.

The buds of my hydrangea turned black due to -15 degree winds and now they are green again.  :D

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:27 »
No new branches on the fuchsia plants but I can see small red buds on the existing branches - there is hope yet for their survival.  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 19:23 »
No new branches on the fuchsia plants but I can see small red buds on the existing branches - there is hope yet for their survival.  :lol:

Oh good  :D

That is when I usually prune mine down to buds near the soil, as otherwise they get very congested. New shoots might still appear from underground too
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 19:35 »
Has she been digging holes again?  :nowink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 19:40 »
Has she been digging holes again?  :nowink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

She is chasing the local voles perhaps  ;)

Springlands

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 19:42 »
 :lol: :lol:  She would be welcome to do some digging in my garden - very far behind this year.   :lol: :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 19:44 »
I dunno - any excuse and she's digging again!  :lol:

xx
Plants for wind breaks

Started by Luiska on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 20, 2017, 18:21
by LILLILEAF
question
Hanging Baskets - Wind resistant plants etc,

Started by Muckytyke on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 15:25
by Goosegirl
xx
Should my Fuchsia's be doing anything yet?

Started by TheOnlyGothInTheVillage on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 19:04
by Yorkie
xx
Fuchsia pruning

Started by Neil Doncaster on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 09:18
by Neil Doncaster

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 39 queries.