shed to chicken coop

• 2 Replies

evie2

shed to chicken coop
« on: July 12, 2010, 18:11 »
Ok, so we thought we had the new chicken coop sorted out but no; the one we wanted is too small so we're now considering buying a shed and customising it.  We have 5 hens (still not laying) and plan to get another 5-7.  What I need advice on is shed size and shed flooring; do we keep the floor supplied with the shed or should it be changed for something else?                                             
Thanks Grace                 
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Kym503

• Experienced Member
Re: shed to chicken coop
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 23:12 »
I have a 6ft x 4ft shed that I bought for my  hens (£99 from Wicks). It is situated in the far corner of the garden with a brick wall behind  it, a fence panel on one side and another larger shed on the remaining side with a very slight gap between the sheds.  The first thing \I did was ensure that the window was fitted with strong wire to prevent rats but to allow ventilation. In winter I place the perspex that was provided over it to keep out any draught but remove it in summer.  With hind sight I wish I had laid it on a more solid concret base.  In side I placed perches down one side and 3 nesting boxes down the other.  In reality the hens have always refused to use the boxes and lay the eggs in straw in the corner.  I have had 12 hens at one time sleeping in this but now just 5 (with 2 x 6 week old chicks to be introduced in a few weeks time.) I haven't had to replace the flooring yet ( been in use for 3 years) as I keep a deep bed of sawdust and straw that is changed reguarly.  Their 20 foot run is built onto the shed asnd is extremely secure with additional roofing sheets for protection from rain.  I also have a door that can be opened to let them free range over a larger areawhen I am home but with such a secure run I can leave the shed door slightly open so they can put themselves to bed and get up in themornings.  I never have to worry if I'm going to be late home and althought it may not suit everyone I feel they are very safe and happy. Mosdt of it was built using recycled materials.

evie2

Re: shed to chicken coop
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 16:06 »
Hi Kym, thanks, sounds like the one we're after.  We were going to put them at the bottom of the garden but after the badger incident the other week their now staying at the top where I can keep an eye on them.  The floor was my big concern.  I was thinking about using yacht varnish on the floor, probably 3 or 4 coats before putting the girls in; is that safe?  Also what is the best preserver to use on the shed?   Grace

xx
Another question!! Converting a shed into a chicken coop

Started by Squiggly on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 19:42
by rachelr
xx
Shed - Coop

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 16:33
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Plastic shed for a coop?

Started by jools68 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 09, 2016, 13:24
by grinling
xx
Shed or Proper made coop? Positives and Down falls

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 17:58
by kimT

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 37 queries.