araucana hatching

• 8 Replies

callysauz

araucana hatching
« on: September 14, 2011, 10:29 »
hi there   well after looking at my new rcom suro for 4 weeks ive finally made the move and got myself some araucana eggs to try.  i have been told that due to the araucana having stronger shells i need to adjust humidity accordingly to take this into account.  anyone got help for a first timer???

Casey76

Re: araucana hatching
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 13:20 »
I've never heard that araucanas have stronger shells!

Marans eggs are slightly thicker and more waterproof, and can prove more difficult to hatch, but I've not heard the same about araucanas :)

Stick with the factory settings and you should be fine :) Though I have to say it is a bit late in the year for hatching in an incubator unless you have room to brood the chicks for a longer time inside.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 22:02 »
the eggs from my araucanas do seem to be stronger but I have never had any problems with hatching (mind you I do use broodies not incubators).
Staffies are softer than you think.

callysauz

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:26 »
oh gosh!  soooo much to learn!  thanks for your advice.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 20:48 »
I have never had a problem with my araucanas- I use a brinsea.  What colour birds have you gone for??
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

callysauz

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:33 »
ive gone for lavender, they were off ebay which i am now learning is probably not a good idea as the postal system can put pay to any chances of achieving success.  the factory setting for the incubator is 45% but all my reseach on the www says that it should be much higher.  do i stick to factory setting or raise it to a higher level?  be really grateful for any useful advice.

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:49 »
For the first 18 days the humidity needs to be between 30-45%rH and then increased to about 60%rH for days 18-21.  Temperature should be 37.5*C

The eggs need to be rested for 24 hours, pointy end down when you receive them before you set them.

Have you really though this through properly?  Hatching at this time of year is time consuming and electricity consuming.

If you set them tomorrow (for instance) they would be due to hatch on approximately 13 Oct.

At 6 weeks old, when they would normally be going outside, it will be 24 Nov.  Chicks do not cope with cold/wet/wind as well as adult hens, so you will probably need to keep them inside for longer.

When they are inside (including the 6 weeks when they are very small and unfeathered), they will need constant heat, and they will also need supplemented lighting as they days aren't very long now to ensure they eat enough to grow properly.  Winter hatched chicks are often smaller than spring hatched chicks due to this very reason.

You needn't wait that much longer if you're eager to start.  If you set eggs in at the beginning of Feb, they're ready to go out by end of March, with a little care and attention; and hatching early in the year is always easier, as the days are getting longer, and the weather getting warmer.

One other thing to consider... the mating "season" is well and truely over, so the fertility of the eggs cannot be guaranteed at this time of year, especially if the breeders keep large pens (having said that most breeders I know break up their breeding pens in about Jun, which is just about the "end" of the hatching season).

Please think of the welfare of the future chicks before you rush in, especially if it is your first time hatching :)

callysauz

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:32 »
i set them in the incubator on 16th so they is no turning back now.  i had stored them for 24 hours pointed end down.  your right, i thought i had all the information before hand.  researched the breed, brought the hen house, got the brooder but just havent allowed for the time of year.....big mistake.

i am lucky in that our farm house has a large heated animal barn atached to it with electricity powered by a wind turbine, this can be easily made warm and cosy for any chicks which may hatch.  the advice about the lighting and suppliments is good and obvious when you come to think of it.

i was quite excited about my new venture but am now being to regret undertaking it.  the welfare of any birds which i may hatch need not be a concern to anyone as i am, if not sensible, a crazy animal lover who does not cut corners when it comes to caring for my animals albeit my hunky horses or a tiny chick.

thanks for answering my question about humidity...much appreciated

Casey76

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 12:21 »
I understand :)

In April this year I was told I was going to Argentina with work for 6 weeks in May and Jun.

By the time I went I had more than 40x 6-10 week old chicks and 12x week old chicks, all of which my mum (who knows nothing about pultry) had to look after.

I really began to regret hatching everything, but in the end everything was OK.

I'm sure your araucanas will be fine.

You can barn rear them (if you can get a "natural light" bulb for day time that would be great) until spring, and allow them days out if the weather is fare.  It's a lot more than some chicks have.

Be warned though, it is a very slippery slope you're on lol! Hatching is extremely addictive!

xx
Araucana X Light Sussex - anyone tried?

Started by CluckyChicken on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 17:33
by CluckyChicken
xx
big hatching day soon

Started by redspookycooky on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 07:36
by redspookycooky
xx
Hatching :)

Started by Thingy on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 19:59
by lisa123
xx
there hatching!!!

Started by massa on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 22:29
by massa

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 37 queries.