Nettle sting, am I being a wimp?

• 13 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Nettle sting, am I being a wimp?
« on: September 27, 2021, 10:10 »
I spend most daylight hours outside in the garden or the field. Getting stung by nettles is a daily occurrence. However, I'm now wondering if there is a new more potent strain of nettle as a nettle rash on the back of my hand kept wakening me in bed last night until I gave in and applied some anti-inflammatory cream to it. It's still numbing my hand this morning. Could it be some other form of stinging plant or am I getting soft in my old age?

grinling

Re: Nettle sting, am I being a wimp?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 10:48 »
I have found stings can last longer, but also if the plant is new.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 11:49 »
The plants are on their last legs under an old apple tree in our field, which is how I got stung - retrieving some fallen apples as a treat for next-door's shire horse

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 12:10 »
I seem to be ok but my husband really has problems with nettles.   The effect usually lasts the best part of 24 hours.

MrsPea

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 12:17 »
Mine lasted me ages as well, whether it's because i'm on injections and tablets for Rhumatoid , years ago i used to be able to pick the darn things NOT NOW
I Love my green house

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 13:57 »
Most I just pull up without gloves, I get a bit of an itch for an hours or so, but there are a few by the shed that a really nasty and leave me with huge blisters for days regardless of the size of the plants. Not sure if  a variety thing, where they grow or what they feed on but some are definitely nastier than others.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 14:17 »
Apparently, the Romans used to beat each other about the body with the things, presumably to get warm during the colder months...

Just thought you'd like to know that!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 15:59 »
Don’t forget to make sparkling wine with your nettles saw that on a TV programme recently!!?
Keep digging

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 06:20 »
I think (in part) it depends on if there is more than one nettle variety. Our local stinging nettle really ought to be called 'itching nettle', it causes a temporary mild rash.

I have heard that Australia has a nettle that can easily put you in the hospital.

Is it possible you have some newly-introduced nettle that causes more of a reaction?

"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 06:38 »
I think (in part) it depends on if there is more than one nettle variety. Our local stinging nettle really ought to be called 'itching nettle', it causes a temporary mild rash.

I have heard that Australia has a nettle that can easily put you in the hospital.

Is it possible you have some newly-introduced nettle that causes more of a reaction?

Hellfire, SubP!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrocnide_moroides

And I thoght their spiders were the only problem...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 16:57 »
I don't allow stinging nettles in my garden.  I give them a bad look and they wither and die.  Occasionally get a tiny one which wants to try his hand, put I pull him out.  No gloves, just hands.  Sometimes my palm may itch for a while, but soon goes.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 22:19 »
Hellfire, SubP!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrocnide_moroides

And I thoght their spiders were the only problem...

I have heard it said that most of the plants and animals in Australia are naturally equipped to eradicate humans.  It's probably an exaggeration.  Probably.

jezza

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 18:02 »
Hello Lardman nettles can be more potent this time of year especially the little leaves ones,my mum moved a pot of Cyclamen last Sunday at 10am and brushed against what she thought was an Oregano plant it turned out to be a little nettle,by 2pm she was feeling dizzy and gasping for breath she had a portion tablet it calmed down next morning she was ok then started to feel I'll again when I got in at 3 30 Monday afternoon she wad laid out in a chair didn't know who she was or were she was,she went to bed,I rang the doctor at 5 30 he rang back she was having an allergic reaction to Citigliptin diabetic tablet ,,I was advised to get sugar into her so that the tablet had something to fight again   jezza

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2021, 14:03 »
Cripes jezza that's nasty, I trust you have it under control and have found and removed the offending plant.  I count myself lucky in the fact the only thing I've ever found I am allergic to is hard work  ;)

xx
Wasp sting ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2022, 13:14
by jezza

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 51 queries.